1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

end of season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by andy bengtson, Apr 9, 2003.

1. andy bengtson

andy bengtson Junior Member

What do I need to do to my plow so I can put it away for the summer? I have a boss v-plow.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Flush and change the fluid.Touch up any rust spots with paint.Put dielectric grease on all connections.Make sure there are no broken welds,or loose bolts.Repair them now,while you have time.

After parking it,fully collapse the lift ram,so the piston isn't exposed.Wipe some chassis grease on the exposed pistons on the angle rams.With a V-blade you should be able to retract both wings,to protect the angle ram pistons too.I usually spray the entire blade and harness down with some cheap undercoating oil as well.If outdoors,park the blade on a couple of blocks,so the carbide edge won't rust on the ground.

3. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

Eveything Wyldman said except you should keep the lift ram all the way up so there is hydraulic fluid in the lift cylinder so it will not rust. Then coat the lift ram the same way as the power angling rams.

4. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Lift ram

I originally had a Western, and they advocate keeping it all the way down. (See excerpt from manual below). I used to do that and coat the remaining bit with grease. Never had a problem. As long as it is coated or covered I think that you are OK either way.

This exceprt is from the Western website, and is for a cable activated plow.
    REMOVING SNOWPLOW & STORAGE
    1. Lower the plow to the ground (keep tension on chain). Move Move llla control lever to neutral.
    2. Disconnect hose couplers between hydraulic unit and Hydra- Turn@
    A. Connect curb-side ram hose into the quick coupler on the driver-side ram.
    B. Loop hydraulic unit hose around the lift assembly and couple hose into manifold quick coupler.
    This will protect the quick coupler ends and keep foreign matter out of the quick couplers while the snowplow is off the vehicle.
    3. Pull hairpin cotters from hitch pins at rear of A-frame and remove hitch pins. After disassembly, replace hitch pins and hairpin cotters in A-frame ears for ready access when reinstall-ing plow.
    4. Move the llla control lever to lower (float) position.
    5. Push the lift channel all the way down. Leave lift channel in down position to protect lift ram from rusting and pitting.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Definitely keep the lift ram retracted,or down.The shaft seal keeps out rust and corrosion.

6. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

I never followed the manufactures directions

in 28 seasons of plowing I always stored with lift ram retracted,or down & guess what I never a problem ;) . I can even state that when I first started plowing that for the first 5 yrs. ( didn't know better ) I never even changed the fluid :eek: & that was a Meyers :eek: plow.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Ohiosnow, I got you beat. :D My Western Uni Mount was purchased new in the 1992-1993 season and the fluid has NEVER been changed, not even once. I added to it just recently as it was very low, but change it? Never have. Nothing to be proud of I guess. They say there is a first time for everything. The fluid change is coming! :D Mike :waving:

8. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Change fluid, what fluid?

Chuck B.:D :D