1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

End of season take overs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Mar 4, 2014.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like some plow guys are starting to give up here. In the last week I've gotten 3 calls to see if I have any room for plowing. Beginning of March and people are still looking .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I am not giving up. I am sending you the BS that I don't want.

3. grandview

No thanks, I only bill seasonally!:D

4. GM Landscape

GM Landscape Junior Member

Yeah the $ runs dry on the lowballers or "plow guys" and they say screw this. We had two late last week call us about "helping them out". Had to say no to both, looked names up our computer.........both received estimates last fall from us and had used the "too much $" line. One of the smartest ideas is to keep track of estimate information (sale or no sale).

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

That's funny we had the similar thing happen this year. Bid on hotel across the street from one of our current accounts. Turned us down to go with someone cheaper. The big storm we had last month that person quit. The manager flagged me down while plowing the account across the street. Needless to say we didn't take the account. Person wanted me to stop what I was doing and come plow their lot.

6. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Money talks and BS walks. For the right amount of CASH UP FRONT, anything is possible payupThumbs Up

7. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 Senior Member
    from Ma

Let me guess, they couldn't come up with the rent to pay their parents, cell phone got shut off, the one plow they own broke, they can't come up with any salt, insurance company cancelled their policy all because they are the lowest bidder on a commercial property managed by a national !! Ha :D

8. grandview

Been a long season and guys aren't used to plowing over 30 times in a season.

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Hahahahah!

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

For a lot of them even the cheap guy is billing a lot this year. If you have the room get in while you can, next year is another season. Take the opportunity to quote a higher price and replace work that you've lost, or not been happy with your margins on.

11. grandview

If I do decide to pick up a few driveways the price will be at least 100 bucks higher next season.

12. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I think its a great way to pick up work if you have room. I just wouldn't do it unless they sign for the remainder of the current season as well as next season. No exceptions.

13. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Got a few calls....

I turn them away, its crap properties that i'm sure they havent paid there current plow guy..

14. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

More like 30 times a month!

15. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Although this season wasn't extremely profitable on the seasonal contracts, it was necessary to weed out the lowballer companies that have entered the market with the last few light winters. Also we can raise the seasonal prices next year without having people say we didn't have to plow last winter. Can't sell snowplowing if it doesn't snow.

16. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Im on the other end of this deal. Ive been fired due to high bills (what the hell do they expect on a near record braking year)............ So everyone else is picking up work off my back. And your right they haven't paid there old plow guy!!!!!!:(

They have all gotten a little payback so far from the places that canned my. Pizza hut got rid of me when there is a salt shortage. I have plenty. They replaced me with someone who cant get salt. There lot is across from 3 of my accounts. My stuff looked great yesterday before there guy showed up mid way through the day. He was just starting when there were dry spots on my lots. There was still snow on there lot at lunch time today 24 hours after my lots were just wet.

The other which canned me and owes over 9K bucks replaced me with a fella with an old truck with junk equipment. He didn't show up to this 4.5 acre strip mall till cars were showing up (hahahahaha I would have been done by then). He didn't clean up the rear of the building where the semis unload so one of the drivers didn't realize where the parking lot/grass field started. He pulled that semi out in the middle of the field and got BURRIED!!!!!!!!! Once again never would have happened because the parking lot would have been plowed. I was smart enough to take my property stakes up when they canned me....... Your welcome ass hole property manager.......... LOL They may still get the last laugh though. If they don't pay.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  17. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have been asked to bid on 10 more small commercials. Not happy with the current guy.
    I had already bid these in November of 11. They asked for another copy of that bid. I told them I might rethink some prices, and they said sure. I did in fact raise the price on all but 2. Can't be doing it for the fun of it.
    We shall see.

18. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I told them to sign up with you for life because I don't want them back. You will get many seasons out of them.

19. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I had 2 calls 1 was for 3 gas stations and one was a Company I told them no once but twice no F&S
    3 gas stations, Ask if I can do it for same price they was paying. I told them no that's the reason for the bad service. Then I told them my price and then my salt price.
    They thought my lot clearing price was ok but they told my salt price was double there old price. I told them its costing me double so I have to charge more for late contacts.
    I didn't get them Owell I'm ready for green grass

20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know feeling Im at 41 for the season glad I have per visit contacts beside one Seasonal I have its running close to the redline