1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

End of Season Plow Maintenance...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mister_snowplow, Feb 16, 2005.

1. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I know there is still a lot of winter left, but I was just wondering if you pros could post some tips in regards to end of winter season plow maintenance. What do you all do to your plow before you put it away till next season? How about end of winter season truck maintenance? Thanks! :waving:

2. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

On my plow...I take it all apart...repaint...lube everything...drain fluid and replace with new.put new bolts in and wait til next season.

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

From what I remember, some guys on here had a mixture of diesel? and something else that they sprayed on sanders etc to prevent rust. What was that mixture?

4. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

If you run you salter once a month in the summer and hit the chain with some lube to will help it from seizing up. Also make sure the fuel tank is full and you have a good fuel stabilizer.

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I coat mine with wd-40 and tarp it in a garage. It's looking like it will be heading there soon. :(

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My blade and truck get a good pressure wash, rust gets addressed on the plows as do chains and hoses. All pivots and piston rams get greased with either Silicone spray or white lith grease (usually white lith it lasts longer).
    If the tranny didn;t get serviced before the season it get serviced, normal truck maintenance gets done (oil change type stuff). Nothing really special for the trucks as they are driven normally (the Dodge every day- the Chevy has been off the road for 2 years for a major overhaul) Electrcal plugs get cleaned and re greased with dielectric grease from plow plugs to marker light plugs.

The sander gets stabilizer in the fuel, the fuel shut off and the engine run out of gas, Marvil Mystery oil in the cylinder, and used motor oil on the chains and in the hopper several times each off season (I can't see wasting diesel but I have used motor oil).

When painting needs to be done it gets done- the Dodge's blade is getting a complete overhaul/rebuild this year, any metal repairs needed get done when they are needed. Most of this gets done in the fall again also.

7. FIREDUDE26

FIREDUDE26 Member

I use used oil and diesel fuel mixed to coat the inside of spreaders and also the springs and center pins on my plow, after i inspect all parts for wear.

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Were take the plows off, where there on a skid and tarp them. Sander gets used motor oil dump and ran though it. Were put it up on saw horses and tarp it. The plow lights and heads, come off the dump truck and get hanged up. The heads on the pick up we've been leaveing on the last past years. Might take them off this year.

Plows will get pulled out in Aug. Were replace the cutting edges, This year the blades will get rebuilt. We repaint the plows every year. By Oct. 31st plows will be in the shop, ready to go.

9. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Thanks for the tips guys! :waving: