1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

End of Season Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Jaspell, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

I have a MMI and am new to this. SEHP. Do I change the oil in the reservoir now or in the Fall? What else do I need to do to store the plow for the Summer? Dielectric grease?
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Change the fluid in the fall. Clean the grill connector plugs and coat with grease. Coat the pos and neg terminals on the motor with terminal coat, grease, dielctric grease, Fluid Film or what ever works for you. Make sure lift cylinder is collapsed fully and coat the exposed portion of all 3 cylinders with grease or Fluid Film. Set it so the cutting edge isnt sitting right in the dirt, up on a couple of bricks or a pallet, something like that. Actually, just go buy a couple of cans of Fluid Film and coat the whole darn thing, you and it will both be happier in the fall when its time to go back to work.
  3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

crash pretty much covered it. I would fix and rust or chipped paint now because its just going to get worse over the summer. some guys even take the motor and pump along with the lights off of the head gear and store them inside
  4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yep- and if at all possible store it inside (or at least out of the elements).
  5. svt2205

svt2205 Member

What's this Fluid Film you guys are refering to?
  6. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

It's a vegetable oil based rust and corosion preventative. They actually advertise heavilly on this site and in fact, there is an entire topic heading dedicated to it.
  7. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Fluid Film is a lanolin based corrosion preventive and lubricant. It contains no solvents, so it will not evaporate or get gummy or tacky. It also won't freeze, so it will keep your locks from freezing, your snow blower chutes from clogging and help snow build-up on plow blades.

It also works excellent on electrical connections and will prevent corrosion on battery terminals for a minimum of twelve months.

You could find more information and applications at www.fluid-film.com.
  8. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Put Your Plows And Sanders Inside, Coat In Fluid Film And Welcome Spring/Summer!Its That Simple!
  9. svt2205

svt2205 Member

Thanks for the info on fluid film. Looks like a good protectant.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I have an insta-act so i don't know how easy this would be for you but i take my pump off for the spring/summer/fall to keep moisture out of it as much as possible