1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

end of season Getting paid..Commercial business

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pa Teeny, Feb 25, 2015.

1. I have one client that likes to run invoices late, so I was going to start adding a late fee of $25 /$1000 due to get him to pay sooner. I was going to send the notice out this month and give him 21 days as I have had him for 10 years. He give the same song and dance...

the residential I will usually drop if the do not pay and never plow them again unless its cash.

Its hard for clients to remember the snow after it has melted....short term memory....

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Good Luck with that
    Hope to here the out come in 21 days

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Good luck with all of that! In PA you can only charge up to a certain amount for late fees. Honestly, if he's been this way for several years then why keep him if your not happy with the out come. We, and Im sure everyone has issues with one or more customer's just depends how bad you need/want to keep him. Ive told people in the past (politely) Im not in the business of financing your property care. That usually gets them paying and it has to be a face to face conversation, people look at letters like junk mail and usually toss it. Good luck.

4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Unless it is in the contract that you will charge late fees, I don't think it is enforceable UNLESS you send out a notice of CHANGE OF TERMS explaining what they are and giving a deadline by which they have to cancel service if they don't agree to the changes. Then if they fail to notify you that they wish to cancel, they are AGREEING to the new terms in which then they are applicable. I agree with others, most "nastygrams" go unnoticed and don't work. I hope you have better results. Let us know.

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

People who pay last get serviced last.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

agreed... its hard to change things mid term. You need to give them notice too. Just like credit cards "which get away with murder really", but you can't change something mid term and have to give the option to opt out or cancel.

We've had late terms in all our contracts and never get any of them. When a client doesnt pay or pays way late, especially when they don't pay and we have to sue them in court, we always end up settling for less, and of course NO legal fees, court fees or late fees, you lose the whole way around the block.

7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, unfortunately, the scum bags who don't pay have figured out how to get the system to work to their favor. It often times cost us more in time, effort and fees to sue than it does to write it off as a loss, so that is what we do and it just reinforces their behavior to the next contractor. I think that is one (of many) of the things wrong with our justice system. I think if you sue someone and win, they should have to pay ALL FEES (court cost, attorneys, lost time, pay it all), but they don't. On the flip side, if you sue and loose, YOU should pay all fees. Not only would this cut down on bogus suits but would be more fair to the people who are just trying to make themselves right financially when they get screwed.