1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

End of Season discounts

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by n0tneeded, Jan 31, 2007.

1. n0tneeded

n0tneeded Junior Member
    from NJ

I was wondering with the slow season so far and after a normal season, what kind of discounts do plow suppliers run? With the slow season so far, will there be bigger discounts? Normally how much cheaper do they run?

2. payton

payton Senior Member

dont count on a huge savings. you maybe able to find last year model a lil cheaper but not huge price savings. unless a dealer is going broke.. but i still find it hard to see a huge discount.

3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

End of Season Discounts?

I spoke with a very large plow dealer today, he said he doesn't discount his plows very much in the spring, he said everyone expects huge price breaks, he went on and said, "Why would I sell a plow, new or used in March for less that I would pay for in August to restock my inventory" . "Plows don't go bad like a loaf of bread" lol they're pretty universal these days, so I'll just hang onto them to the next selling season.

I would have to agree with him, if I don't move the remaining plows I have , I'll just carry them until August or Septemember and get the better price, why sell them for less than I will have to pay for next years inventory, six months of interest on the difference is not a huge amount but to give a huge discount to move them becomes a huge cost of doing business.

After many years in the Collision industry I have learned, once you give out big discounts, clients always come to expect them, once you can't give a discount like you have in the past, those clients are going shopping elsewhere. Everyone has a number in mind on what they want to pay for any item, and if buyer and seller can come to terms where both are satisfied then that is a "Good Deal", if only one comes away with that feeling then its a one sided deal, and no future "Good Deal's" will take place.

I have tried not to sell the cheapest plows, but Good Plows at a fair price, I think of the 2am's with a blizzard raging, would I want to be lying in a puddle of slush trying to fix a plow freezing my finger tips off? No so when someone is looking for a huge discount, I typically will say, sorry I can't help you, but keep in mind what you see here, you will not find elsewhere for the hugely discounted price, if you can Buy It! It's a "Good Deal".

Jay

4. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

local place asphault place sells snow ex salt spreaders 150.00 off.... well thats what they quoted me last year off of a snow ex 575.. hey i mean thats a pallet of salt.

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I bet most people couldn't tell the difference between a 2006 and 2007 Fisher plow (minus things like Intensfires), so why sell them cheaper? Dealers have to make a buck too.

6. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Depends on your situation I would think.

Funny, The big box stores give big discounts and move their inventory(Snow Blowers).
    I don't know how the Pickup plow business works? Is it like the power sports industry(Sleds,water craft, bikes etc) where the manufactures expect infact it is in the contracts that you will buy "X" amount a year above the year before?
    Do you pay cash for your inventory or do you Floor-plan (Interest payments)? Makes a big difference wether you would want to sit on it or move it out the door.
    Some of the smaller dealers may not have the room to store the inventory all season?
    I wouldnt think that the profit margin is that great on plows(Cash and carry).
    I know with pickup sanders there isn't a big margin (around here anyways) ,I have a buddy that wont sell them.Everyone is trying to out price the next guy around here and it isn't worth it to him.He told me that if he cleared $300-$500 after all was said and done he would be lucky.Not a big margin!