1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

end of plow install

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pats plowing, Aug 30, 2004.

1. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

After a grueling 20 hrs of labor, my plow is all put together and the frame is assembled all i have left is the electric wiring from the truck. How long will that take me to do? Has anyone done it before any tips??
    BTW plow is fisher x blade on an 04 F350

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Take your time and read the instruction BEFORE you start just to help understand things a bit better as you go.I mount the solenoids on the passenger side fender wall on the Fords and use self tapping screws.
    Your headlight configuration is going to be a Posotive(+) common.be patient and run your wires neatly,Isolation module usually goes on the driver side on the fender wall or on top of the fuse box cover.
    Give me a ring if you need help,i'll walk ya thru it,(845)676-3136,Don

3. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Pat, first, like Arc burn said read everything first, and as your going through the steps go back and check your last step it will be easier to fix a mistake before you go on, rather than in the end. this is how I did mine last year the day before the first storm :eek: Just remember its looks alot worse than it is

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

When I installed mine I layed out the wire harness in my living room floor and located all my connections and labeled them so to make the install easier not to be cruel but it took me about 6 hrs in my garage good luck.

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS...Do the new Fords with plow prep. have plug n play wiring for snow plow wiring set ups?
    I know the 99 & up NBS GMs with plow prep have extra plugs on all lights to simply plug into Fisher and Western wiring setups.

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

GM doesnt have extra plugs for the harness', you merely unplug the factory harness at the headlight, plug the plow harness into the headlight socket and the factory plug goes into the other leg of the plow harness. Do the same with Ford and Dodge, You do have to splice into the turn and marker circuits.

Pat, dont get carried away with routing the harness' through this, that, and the other thing. Remember that you might have to repair the harness down the road and if you have to pull the grill and whatever else it goes through youve made it to difficult.

7. sonjaab

CRASH..........Hmmmmm About ready to reinstall my Western rig on my new
    truck. I didn't install the other or remove it. It has all plug in ends in the wiring. But i was just eyeballing ! Thank god no splicing tho !
    Thanks for the heads up!............geo :drinkup:

8. Arc Burn

George,your gonna unplug your truck lights and plug them into the plow harness and plug the plow harness back into the truck lights,no splicing there,you will however splice into the turn and marker lights.

9. sonjaab

ARC...Looking at the Western harness again..There is all plug ins. Nothing seems to be spliced............. I understand what you guys are saying tho.. The plugs go like "back to back" on the GM installs. My bud is prob. gonna hook it up or I will send it to the Western dealer. Tooooo darn busy and have brain surgery next week finally!

Are you heading to the BBQ in Poughkeepsie? I hope to be up and around by then. If not able to drive by then I will hook up with Got Grass Mike and have him drive. Sure don't want to bring the "boss"!

As the Grateful Dead sang: "If unable to dance, I WILL CRAWL!".........LOL
    :drinkup: ...........geo

10. Arc Burn

I hope to make it,very busy time of the season,i'll play it by ear,would like to meet ya!

11. sonjaab

ARC......I have been to that BBQ for the past 3 yrs! Awesome time and
    Good weekend trip ! Its a nice area down there! Bring the little woman too!
    Then no complaints "You never take me anywhere".........LOL!

Reserve a room at the Best Inn Motel .See the BBQ thread for info..........
    You can cancell if you can't make it !...........geo