1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

End Date???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowman5313, Apr 19, 2011.

1. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

Its April 19th and they are talking snow!!! Most of it is not sticking but my heart drops every call I am getting (mostly employees letting me know that its snowing and what would we do if ? ). It hasn't snowed in almost a month so the equipment is gone (I lease). Besides only about 20% of the equipment that could salt or move snow is ready for work.

One of my buddies says he's contract stops at the 1st of April. Mine don't. For the most part it doesn't snow much in April, and I keep my leases untill Aprill 15th.

My question is besides BS-ing the client about late snows should I think about an enddate? If they call and I don't service them acordinglly in my mind it will be hard to renew contracts.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Mine are end of April ,if it snows in May I'll go.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What does "BS'ing your client about late snows" mean???

Aren't your customers counting on you??

If you want to be taken seriously you need to be prepared to service your clients from the first to the last weather event.

If you can't do this, you might want to think about doing something else.

4. grandview

He's worried, they got snow there this morning! You should at all times have at least one piece of equipment ready all year round for snow.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

And they still are looking at my screen....looks to be hammering in many areas.

Wanted to hear what kind of BS he's telling his clients....:laughing:

6. grandview

Maybe he's the king of kindergarten excuses!

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I'm always on the lookout for good excuses.

They never seem to work for me though.........

8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

My contracts ended already. If someone wants service they will get it and get charged extra. I don't think anyone is going to call. We would really have to get hammerd. You do have to have equipment ready to go should the unexpected occur.

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

All of my contracts have a start and end date. That being said, if it would snow and needed to be plowed before or after those dates, you bet your butt they will be serviced with a smile. I haven't even salted since the middle of Feb., and I am ready at a moments notice through the end of April with all my equipment, and after that it's only 20 minutes to be ready for anything year round.

10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Last year we had to 12+ inch events in May, all clients were serviced and happy to pay the additional costs. I consider the service we provide to be a necessity (especially for buisnesses) and even if everything was packed away, things should be ready to go. In your case OP make sure you can rent equipment on short notice

11. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

some of mine end 4-30 and one ends 4-1. all my contracts have a start and end date. reguardless i stil service all of them and will not charge extra over my normal rates. its snowing right now. 6-8 tonight and just heard another 3-4 tomorrow. time to pick up anther 5 gallons of fluid flim to redo everything again after this storm..

12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I word mine as "The end of snow events" in the spring of the year the contract ends. I can switch between seasons in an hour though and that's usually done at 1:00 in the morning. I can count on 1 hand how many times I've had too over the years but I can tell you.... it makes the clients happy when they know you've got them covered. Your end date is probably not a contention in your contract where you want to take a stand with your customer, if you do you probably won't have them back next season.

13. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

excatally, the end date was added by a lawyer. it really means nothing to me. my customers now they well have the same great service as they have had all winter long.

14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I sent him a pm offering help (since all of our trucks are still ready) disappointed not to get a response.

15. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

My contracts go until April 30th. I only remember snow in May once and it didnt stick to the blacktop, but if it does...that'll cost them.

16. grandview

Way this year is going I don't think there is going to be an end date!

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

All the grass and roof tops are white again this morning. Maybe this is March.

18. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I hope it doesn't end, it'd be neat to plow in June

19. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

Most of the snow did melt on the asphalt but I did have to plow 1 lot. And when I say BS-ing the client I mean needing to remind the client that I need to return rentals, My tractors are in the fields, and some of my seasonal help are done for the year. I don't plow in canada where it still is snowing. I plow in South central Wisconsin. I have plowed for over 10 years now and as far as snow being ready for snow I do have equipment ready but not the full crews like I carry in winter.

20. grandview

Lesson learned,put all that info in your first post or the sharks will get you!