1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emptying Vbox Spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Verto, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Verto

Verto Junior Member
    from VA

After storms are over we usually have leftover material in the boxes (sand/salt mix) that needs to be unloaded. Currently this involves sitting there for 30 mins waiting for the box to empty and then having to clean up a huge area... also if the material is wet, which is usually is, it will clog the chute and throw the spinner chain creating more problems.

I was considering modifying the chute by cutting a door and allowing the material to be dumped straight off the conveyor. Anyone got any better ideas for dumping the load quickly and neatly?

2. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

What kind of V box do you have?
    I can remove the spinner assembly and open the regulating gate to empty the spreader in a pile. Takes about 2 minutes for a half full hopper.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

1/2 an hour??? The easiest mod if your spinner isn't easy to remove is to cut the shaft, slip a piece of pipe over both ends, drill a couple holes (through pipe and shaft, bolt one end and a pin in the other. Pull the pin and your spinner falls out.

4. Verto

Verto Junior Member
    from VA

both of my trucks have typical steel Vboxes with gas engines. one is a fisher other is a salt dog. yesterday when unloading both tore the rubber spinner off the shaft and threw the chain.

when the stuff they use here gets wet it is a pain, likes to bridge and get very dense and absolutely refuses to flow out. i wish there were an easy way to remove the entire chute like on electrics.

as for just removing the spinner, that's a good idea, though i don't think it'll be enough as the chute gets packed up pretty bad too.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Everything can be modded. Put a little thought into it. One of my trucks has a little snow ex tailgate spreader 1875 Sandpro. Suppost to throw sand but it wouldn't, I cut the baffle in half over the auger and it worked great but when I went to use salt the material just flowed out over the auger. I put the piece back in on a stainless hinge, that you just reach in and fold up. Works great for everything now.
    Look at how your shute is attached and mod a quick way to detach it but keep it's strength.

6. Verto

Verto Junior Member
    from VA

thinking of copying the way the snowway does their chute and make it come off with pins. need to figure out how the deal with the shaft coupling though...

oh! found this... guess i'll be doing that. thanks for the help

http://www.************************.com/dino.html

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014