1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Empty Sensor on Western Tornado 1.5

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mikeyt4e, Dec 11, 2014.

1. mikeyt4e

mikeyt4e Junior Member

ok heres what i found out if anyone could help id appreciate it. My dealer wasn't sure why either. When i turn key in the ignition just so the battery is on and i turn on the salter, the sensor works perfect. When i fully turn the ignition so the trucks on no sensor. Also with the conveyor speed fully up when just the battery is on (not the truck), the speed of the conveyor is not as fast as when the truck is turned on and the conveyor speed fully up. Any suggestions?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When the truck ignition is on, but the engine is not running, the alternator is not putting out, so the system voltage is 1.5 volts lower. Fire up the engine and the voltage climbs, the alternator begins feeding everything it can, up to it's maximum output, and charges the battery. if the output of the alternator is exceeded the battery fills in. This is why the conveyor goes faster when the engine is running. This change in voltage will also effect the electronics in the sander control module. This would explain why the sensitivity of the "empty hopper" function changes. But don't waste too much time trying to make the empty hopper message work. It's not a primary function and it is "subjective." It's not reliable. The best way to know the hopper is empty is to look in your rear view mirror to see if the spinner is throwing anything. Put a flood light on your rear end shining down so you can see what's coming out.

3. mikeyt4e

mikeyt4e Junior Member

Thanks a lot I appreciate it

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Thanks mishnick, I was trying to find a polite way to say that.

If this is your first truck spreader, you will soon find out that you spend a lot of time looking in the mirror. Controlling your spread pattern and monitoring material flow is something you do a lot of. The sound of salt hitting the spinner of my Ice Chaser is also a great cue to material feed. I can hear it above the rattle of the 7.3