1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employment Section?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Charles, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We want to know if there is any interest in having an "Employment" forum here at Plowsite.

It would read something like this but Sean would make the final design:

"Are you looking for a job in the Green Industry? Are you looking for employees for your company? Post here"

2. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Sounds like a good idea :)
  3. Charles

Thanks for your reply Chris :waving:

Anybody else think the forum needs it?

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I think it's a great idea too!
  5. Charles

Thanks SIPLOWGUY!

Ok we got 3 for-- including myself--in that I need a place to put people looking for work and those needing employees.

And I have been pmed a no vote.

So 3 to 1 so far.

We let the esteemed members of Plowsite decide this one
  6. Crawdad

Crawdad Junior Member

Just the "esteemed" members? I guess that means I don't get a vote?
    Crawdad :jester:
  7. Charles

You get 1/2 of a vote Crawdad HAHA. j/k you are just as esteemed as anybody
  8. Crawdad

Crawdad Junior Member

Thanks, Charles. I don't care what everyone else says, you're OK by me.
    Crawdad :salute:
  9. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

How many posts do we have to have to be an "esteemed" member??????

Im not all for the idea, I think it will bring in to many non plowers/deadbeats just popping on here looking for a job. I think if a member thats on here , if he needed work , wouldnt be afraid to ask. It would probably bring in a lot of youngsters too. If there was an employment section on here. It would pop up on a web search. Then there might be a lot of people joining and posting on here that have no clue what there doing..

But thats just my opinion , for what its worth. Bryan :waving:
  10. Charles

Not many "deadbeats" look for jobs. Deadbeats are people who don't pay their bills. Whats that got to do with "employement"?

"then there might be alot of people joining and posting who have no clue what they are doing.."
    A forum is not just for in veterans to sit around and talk shop. Its a place for newbies and vets to learn. Hopefully people who have no clue to what they are doing will have a clue when they have studied the info here and questioned Plowsite veterans.

Do you really think it would be terrible to have young people in here looking for work?
    We are not going to let anybody disrupt the forum--children or not

This forum is not very active for 8 months out of the year(as compared to the winter months). Maybe people looking for work and wanting to learn the trade would boost that activity and make it more interesting for vets and everybody 12 months out of the year?

just my opinion

3 for--2 against so far
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I agree with BNC for a bit of that. An Employment section will draw attention from search engines giving us the wrong kind of hits.

Is it really that tough to find workers through the normal help wanted sections locally? There never seems to be a shortage of landscapers around here, nor classified ads.

I have no issue with newbs coming to the site to learn but I would hope they already have an interest when they get here, hence they had to find us. (not that we're all that tough to find either.) Stumbling on the site through a link in a search engine on "employment resources" brings very little promise that they were even looking for us.
    Remember in the 8 months this site in fairly inactive, no one that isn't a plower is thinking about snowplowing anyway. The Kids get the bug to plow when the first flakes start falling, not at the beach in July. I just don't see it as that big a plus for the site, like our Dealer forum. It has potential, but not practical useability or need.
  12. Crawdad

Crawdad Junior Member

I think it's a good thing. For instance, I have a two-wheel Gravely tractor with dual wheels and the four foot Snow Dozer blade. Perfect sidewalk plow. If I could hook up with a parking lot plowing guy, we could both benefit. payup
    Where's the down side to this thing?
    You could get a few wise guys on the site?
    Hey. I'm already here.
    Crawdad :drinkup:
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I see both pro an con side of it. But at the same time I never know when I will need a line on a job. How about keeping it in the Networking thread? Also make so it is invisible to those not logged in.

The deadbeats wont take the time to register and the ones that do ? Who knows maybe I would learn something from them as well, always looking for new ideas or thoughts.
  14. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

.....:nod: .....
  15. Crawdad

Crawdad Junior Member

Due to the fact that snow removal season and hunting season overlap, I have abandoned plans for a snow removal division in my company. So, I guess I won't be posting on your fine site anymore, Charlez. See ya 'round, neighbor!
    Crawdad :waving:
  16. Charles

You probably hit more deere going down the road with the snow plow than you would out hunting with a rifle
  17. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I would definitely appreciate this forum. :yow!:
  18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

:nod: I think it would be a great idea.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

it would be goooooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :waving:

NEWENGLAND Junior Member

Why Knot!

If you dont try it you will never know.

It is far better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all.

I would be willing to work with other plow people to take on bigger jobs than I could possibly do by myself. I have turned down a lot of requests because I do not have a sander and I cant do sidewalks.

Just remember the people that built the Pyrimids. They started out with big goals of large square buildings but lost interest along the way. So every tier that they went up they would say "Hey lets just use one less stone, the Boss will never know" Look what happened!