1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employment Agreements?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by drivewaydoctor, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Hey guys,

I am wondering if you guys have your plow drivers and shovel staff sign employment agreements?

I will be paying my plow guys and shovel staff a weekly "draw" then hourly wage above and beyond the weekly draw.

I would really appreciate seeing what agreements you have your guys sign.
  2. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

We do the same, but don't have a written agreement. We pay $300/wk, or hourly, whichever is greater.
  3. I'm really surprised no one does this with formal written agreements.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What is in your formal employee agreement?

and why do you feel that you need this with your employee?
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I have an agreement with my work. I show up and they pay me. If I don't show up I don't get paid. If I don't show up for x.....days then I don't need to come back. No written agreement there either.
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

We must work for the same company
  7. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I have employement agreements that just gives them an idea of our policies and so when they get fired because they didnt show up i can say well you signed the agreement that says if you dont show up once without reasonable cause youre outta here. only had to do it with one employee so far but it is only the second year using it.
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You don't need a agreement to fire an employee.
    You don't even need a reason, other than you no longer want them around.

disclaimer, unless it's a union shop then it could take 3 f-ups to do the deed.

A employee handbook, yea i've signed them and at the union shop in meant nothing, the only thing that mattered was the union contract.

next, do you have your employes read the MSDS sheets for all the chemicals they will be handling?

i mean if your having then sign "agreements" why not.;)
  9. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

confidentiality agreement, non-compete, drug alcohol substance abuse, accident policy, all part of the game now. Espanol and in english. Get used to it
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Shoot any deer yet?
  11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

1 why are you telling your guys business secretes?
    and really, what is there to protect"
    your secret ice melter mix?
    2 I could see a non-compete, form
    3 the rest are covered by laws.

Alcohol or drug abuse is when you spill them...
    If there under the influence and at work you don't need a policy. If they are operating vehicles, again we have laws.

Even with out the laws you can fire them, you don't need a policy to notify them first.

if you think you need to teach this or enforce this with a policy, your employes are not ready to have a job.

no Espanol, or heavy ascents, if i cant understand you I have no use for you, how can I hire you, if I can't talk to you?.
    Then if their going to be come a "oboma resident" learn the language of the land...or go back to were you came from, my ancestors were eager to learn the language.

K.I.S.S. principle, it's just snow....

ps how about a dress code?
    shaven, clean, clothing in good condition.
    smoking, do you really need a policy book or can you just tell them and put a no smoking sign in the cab..

the polices and hand books are usually done by a human resources person who s looking for job security.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014