1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employees or Sub out?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Camden, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Ever since last season ended I have struggled with the question to hire employees or sub out some of my accounts. It seems like a no-brainer to me to hire employees but it seems like everyone uses subs...why is that? Is it just because it's too expensive to operate more equipment? I've already got a second truck that just sits in storage whenever the snow flies...I figure it could easily be out helping me cut down on my workload but maybe I'm missing something so I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks

2. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

I would sub...less tax b.s. & employees don't care about YOUR equipment.

3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

If it is just one person for your one truck, I would say hire that one person. But heck, if you can get enough contracts, then sub out the rest.

4. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

It is often more simple to hire a sub than hire someone to work some time between Oct and April for a unknown number of hours for an unknown amount of time.

Second, many of the people who are hiring subs do not want to own equipment. If you got the truck you are probably better off finding a person to drive it. If you want to add 4 trucks worth of work and have little need for the equipment the rest of the year, it is tough to make it work.

This year for example we will add 40 to 50 pieces of equipment with subs and 2 that we will purchase. I do not want the nightmare of buying that much equipment and staffing it. I can find many guys who already have crews of workers ready to go with equipment that is sitting and getting dusty....

5. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

And I think depending on what state you live in.....if you have employees....you have to have work comp insurance. And that can get pretty pricey. Its just a better option to sub out.

Another thing you could do with your truck sitting in storage is sublet it out to someone....they pay for all repairs, excess wear and tear....that way you don't have to worry about some bonehead destroying your stuff and no employee to have to have work comp insurance on.