1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employees & Holidays

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WIPensFan, Dec 23, 2011.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I recently gave my employees a gift of money for Christmas. I do this every year and always have. Most of them over the years say thank you, but not all. Now please understand that I am being honest when I say I treat these people more than fair. I give paid vacation time, time off for appointments when needed, time off for sick family members, summer bonuses, winter bonuses, company outings( all paid for ) such as Brewers games and water parks, Fridays off with pay because we completed a tough job, I buy lunch at least 5-6 times per year, lending money when asked, let them use my tools whenever they ask( even trucks), bail them out of jail( has happened twice), hell I've given people jobs that no other company would hire! There are more but I think I made my point. Do you think any of these people would think to get me something for Christmas? It has NEVER happened!! Not that I need anything, as I enjoy doing for others, but a simple card or McDonalds gift card for $5.00 or ANYTHING that says - "You have went out of your way to help me, so I thought of you today. Like I said, I don't need or expect it, it would just make me feel appreciated.

What are others experiences? Hopefully some positive ones.
  2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

How about a hug (no joke)
    If one of your employees came and gave you a hug (obvisoly not in a creepy way) would that be a good thank you?
    Merry Christmas!
  3. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

In 10 years I got one thing from my guys and I don't as much as you do for your employes but I feal your pain
  4. WIPensFan

:laughing: I know you said no joke, but I don't want a hug.( Sexual harrassment lawsuit )

Merry Christmas to you as well!
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

LOL, it sounds like that's what he needs. :)

No disrespect by that either. The thing is, you're the employer. Most employee's don't consider giving the owner/employer a gift. None the less, I hope you have a great holiday.
  6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

It's really frustrating when you/I don't at least get a thank you
  7. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Interesting point. I think you have more employee's than I, but like you I give pretty generous bonus's. For the 1 st time, this year a high school helper gave us a Christmas present! Have not opened yet, does not really matter what it is, just felt good. This kid is being raised right. Dad showed up for the interview, a call form Mom every 8 weeks or so with a thank you-by the way hows He doing, ect.

I don't think we are looking for anyone sucking up, just the normal actions we all should take.
  8. WIPensFan

What did you get? You don't have to say. Thanks.
  9. ALC-GregH

from pa

You better keep him around as long as possible. That is, as long as he's doing a good job.
  10. WIPensFan

Good to hear, well said.
  11. QuickPlow

QuickPlow Junior Member

Just to add my $.02. I dont own my own company but i work for some great guys. They'll give you the shirt off there back if you needed it. I took them for lunch the other week and me and another guy chipped in and gave them a gift card to there favorite restaurant. Just a little Christmas gift and a big thankyou for have a job in Michigan when a lot don't.
    Hopefully some employee's get an idea and chip in on a gift card or something if not I hope you still have a Merry Christmas.
  12. WIPensFan

That was nice of you to do, Merry Christmas.
  13. Mike NY

Mike NY Senior Member
    from zone 5

I had one guy that was borderline harassing me to give him his Christmas bonus first week in Dec.because he was broke, Mind you he averaged 30 hrs per week all season for a 40-50 hr per week job.
  14. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

9 out of 10 people walking the street think that if you own a business you're rich, and if you wanted something then you would just buy it for yourself. As far as the "thank you" jesture, they think you should be thanking them for making you rich, not them thanking you for doing all the things you do that literally makes their livelyhood. It's no longer "don't ask what america can do for you, but rather what you can do for america", it's "i'm not going to do anything for america, but america should do something for me".
  15. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Not everyone was raised right. Do what you think is right. Giving a gift of any kind should make the giver feel good, no matter what the response.If it doesn't, don't give it.
  16. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Had one of my guys come in for a day to do maintenance, didn't log any time in, cleaned the shop too. I am big on respect, and am a lot like WIPensFan, I try to treat everyone right. Most of my guys reciprocate even if it is just buying coffee sometimes.
  17. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I give my guys productivity bonuses, reliability bonuses and treat them very well. buy a pizza here and there, take them out for a few brews after a long hard job summer family picnic, Christmas party etc...
    I gave them each a nice kershaw pocket knifefor Christmas too.

Overall they are thankful, sometimes not as much as I would like them to be, and I think that Mike Thunder hit the nail on the head... they think we are rich because we are business owners.

One of my guys gave me a nice weber charcoal grill out of his scrap pile (which doesn't sound like much, but I really wanted a good grill for the shop.)

I also got a bottle of rootbeer schnaaps at the christmas party. :)
  18. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Last year i spent over 2k on breakfast for the crew.I started a rule years ago that if you didn't say thank you you had to buy next!
  19. ALC-GregH

from pa

Kershaw makes a nice knife. I have like 10 different Kershaw knifes. One being a larger folding blade similar to a original Buck Knife. I actually carry a small Kershaw pocket knife all the time.They hold a edge pretty good too. I have over 200 knifes in a collection I have. I have one that was hand made by the same guy that made the knife Sylvester Stallone used in the first Rambo movie!

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.
  20. ALC-GregH

from pa

That's a good idea. I help a friend do custom painting. His deal is, he buys breakfast each day AND lunch but the crew has to leave the tip. LOL On top of that, we only work 6hrs a day. The pay is good and if the day ends early because the job got done early, we still get the same pay even if we only worked 3hrs.