1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employee W2 or 1099?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Jays Green Daze, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Jays Green Daze

Jays Green Daze Member
    from MI

I was wondering what the pros and cons are to paying employees as a W2 employee or to 1099 them and let them worry about their taxes. With the new year starting I only have 3 employees other than myself in the winter but in the summer I will have closer to 6-8 depending on what new contracts are signed this year. If I 1099 them what recourse do I have in my profits as far as taxes are concerned. I should also mention the company is a Corporation "C" in Michigan.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't even try it. Employees are w-2 only.
  3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Agreed! W-2's, Workers Comp., Liability etc. Do it right. You are in business right? Since you are asking this question I also suggest that at a minimum you set up your business as an LLC.

Herm Witte
  4. Jays Green Daze

Jays Green Daze Member
    from MI

Thanks for the advice. I have the company setup as a corporation and the past couple of years I have W2 employees. I was just wanting your opinions on whether I should continue or change to a 1099 for the 2010 year. I wanted to know what the advantages of staying with a W2 is rather than 1099 is all. Please keep the suggestions coming and thanks again.
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The only advantages is you get the fast track to tax fraud.

You said it yourself in the title "employees", they get a w-2 period. To be safe with subs they should really have their own equipment and work on their own time BUT in a timely manner. You can't tell a sub what to do but they need to do it to specs if you get my drift.
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

w-2 is the only way to go. employees will appreciate it more too, specially if you eventually have to lay them off. 1099=no unemployment.
  7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Jays, listen to the others. A few states have already cracked down on the legal description of a sub (1099) vs. an actual employee. It will become far less "cloudy" & easy to get away with in the near future on a fedaral level IMO. Plus, it unethical IMO. Not only is it fraudulant as stated above, but it adds additional responsibility to your employees that should really be your responsibility.