1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employee Rates For Winter

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northernjim, Dec 29, 2010.

1. northernjim

northernjim Junior Member

Trying to keep update with prices around the areas. What are the common rates owners are paying the employees for snow removal? I have always based it on experience and knowing what employees will always be there on a call. What you guys paying for this type of type "I know they will be there" employees? From guys who drive for you to the guys who are shoveling and blowing.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$12-$15 an hour using my equipment
  3. TDBaird

TDBaird Junior Member

I do walks and plow for a local guy because I don't have a blade on my truck yet.

I get $17/hr on the books for shoveling and a little plowing. The other workers probably get paid a little less because I'm the main sidewalk/small lot guy ...but since it's only a winter gig for me I'm not privy to that information. I do know, however, his main plow guy is getting about $20.
  4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Shovelers start at $12 an hour and work their way to $20 through the season.

Operators start at $20 and can work their way to $30 through the season.

These wages are for me "absolutely will show up" employees. Temps earn a little less.

I have one operator that makes $35 an hour because he has been with me since day one and requires absolutely zero supervision. He is the guy that handles everything if I have to go out of town. I have absolutely no problem leaving him in charge of the operation even through the biggest blizzard.

I wish I could afford to double his wages because he deserves it.
  5. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

im dead nuts on with this guy except i dont have a 35 dollar guy that can run his own show. My best worker (little brother) use to get paid less than minimum wage, last plow he got his pay check and shat his pants when he saw the raise he got. Needless to say he now prays for snow more then me.
  6. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

In my area its $15 to $18 as an operator.
  7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

15.00 hour
  8. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

$30/hr to run a snowblower.My 2 guys can each do 6-7 $30 drives per hour.I then add a little extra plus snacks and meals.
  9. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

And this is for using you guys equip right? What about if they use their own?
  10. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

paid $50/hr to brother in law with his blower.Guys do alot better job with more money per hr.Would never consider paying what some of the cheap skates here pay.C'mon---$9/hr to shovel all day ??????? You can make that at the piggly wiggly and then go dancing all nite !!! Shovel all day and then lay in bed for the next 2 days.
  11. bmacd1

bmacd1 Junior Member

i got 1 guy with his own set-up $75 hr..guarenteed 4hrs on 1 account...usally has it done in 2 1/2 or 3...and another guy who drives my dump for $35hr guarenteed 4hrs at the same location, they are happy plus my profit margin leaves enough that i could stay home and still do good...the customer loves the extra mile we go in leaving it spotless so its basically name ur price
  12. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Are we talking base hourly or OT rate or do you pay everything at OT?
  13. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

We pay our subs $65 an hour in their own trucks.
  14. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

At my old excavating company i worked for all snow work was at OT 1.5 time your normal pay. That was there snow rate.
  15. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I pay my ground guy 10 bucks hour and he is tickled pink casue everyone else (from what I understand) pay about 8 max.

I seen an add once paying 75 hr for subs w/ own equipment, but it was crap/scam, never would respond to any attempt I made.
  16. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Thats what I do for my year round employees. Otherwise it ranges from $14 shoveling to $25 plowing. Which honestly I feel is a bit high..
  17. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Shovelers start @ $15 PH, If they drive they are running a crew and get $17. Shovelers get a $1 per hour bump for storms over 12 inches. Operators in our equipment whether driving or operating a machine is $25ish. Subs in their own truck get between 65-95 hr, subs and machines it varies up to about $150hr for a 3YD loader.