1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employee pay rates

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DMC, Jul 16, 2013.

1. DMC

DMC Junior Member

What is the normal / good pay for drivers of my trucks and shovelers. They will be using all my equipment (snow blowers, shovels, plow trucks, salters, etc..) Just need experienced people to fill the seats. I was paying 30-35 for driver and 15-20 for shovelers but not sure if I am crazy. I am running triple what I was last year, 18 trucks, and it really adds up now. Let me know what you guys think.

Am I crazy or just being cheap.
  2. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

$15-20 and hour here.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

IMO you have to pay well to get quality. Pay as much as you can afford.
  4. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

This! :salute:
  5. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

You pay extremely well as far as my area goes. But I don't know what other areas go for. I pay my guys 15-20 and 10-15 for shovelers but I don't have a large snow buisness just myself and 3 others. Where are you located?
  6. Sawboy

What's your area? You have USA listed.
  7. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

My guys get 30 for driving and 15 shovel. I want the best guys so I try to stay at the top of the pay scale for my area. I buy buffalo wild wings on occasion as well :)
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

So if I plow and shovel, is that 45?
  9. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Sure, but you are using your truck and plow. No way you are driving one of my trucks....I heard rumors and seen pictures of a guard rail ;-)
  10. Sawboy

LMAO! :laughing::laughing:
  11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Not everything on the net is true....Well some things are.....
  12. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

central pa
  13. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

wow 30-35 for drivers! I wish we have veterans so competent that it would be worth it! We do have guys that drive f350s-f550s in that pay range, but only a couple...

I used to start shovelers at $15 and drivers at $20... depending on their work and worth, i'd immediately bump them up if they're great.

I've had $25/hr guys who have "plowed for years" or worked for DOT for 10yrs etc... worth zilch.. i mean can't plow a parking lot, take 70 minutes to plow what i plow in 18 minutes, bad at paperwork, call me when they're truck is 2 minutes away from running out of fuel etc..

I've had guys at $20/hr with only plowing for another company one season, do well, good on paperwork, good to deal with, not asking to be paid when they return the truck, happy to have work, enjoy the snow, no complaints from the clients etc..

Laborers get $15/hr and i'm very strict on when they go out in the trucks now. Salt only runs don't get a laborer because 90% of the time is wasted sitting in the truck , then when they are out, they take so long to salt 100' of sidewalk "what takes me less than 2 minutes takes them 10", drivers sits in truck longer wasting time etc. Although generally quicker to have a helper for salting , we won't send one out unless we're going to be swamped.

Most of my drivers get $25+ though, my father and uncle plow for us and get $35..... which seems like a lot for their payroll, but both bust through snow plowing work and salt runs like a raped ape... they're efficient, no BS, get in - get out and probably worth 2-3x what their paid, since it would take 2-3 other drivers to dish out their same workload.

We've also had 20-23y/o drivers do well with plowing and others i wouldn't trust with a shovel. I've had a couple guys since 19, now 23-25 and still plow for us and are pretty good.
  14. jonanderson

jonanderson Junior Member

That's a fair pay scale for your employees. I've had no complains from my employees and pay them just about what you are paying your crew. A big thing is to show them appreciation and buy them breakfast, lunch or dinner on occasion. I have 12 trucks and each have a plow and spreader. I am looking to purchase 3 more trucks so I need more plows and spreaders. I purchased all my equipment from Quality Truck and Equipment in Bloomington, Illinois and they have given me the best damn prices every time. They even have a referral program and from all the people I've referred to them, I got a free plow already.
  15. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

I plow only municipal roads. It's all by the hour. The guys driving them are welders lol. If it's drive a plow truck for $15/hr or get snowed out on the jobsite and sit at home, most of the younger guys will jump at the chance to go out and make money.

Also our routes stay pretty small, so there is a lot of sitting on the side of the road waiting for enough accumulation to scrape off.
  16. jonanderson

jonanderson Junior Member

I have noticed that also that many young guys jump right on it if you pay them $15 hr. That's really not a bad deal for some youngster in their 20's. I just make sure they know how to drive and operate the damn plow, because that is not a cheap fix.
  17. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I make $11.59 an hour from 7:00am to 3:30pm Monday through Friday and $17.39 for over-time. I plow for Maine DOT with a wheeler with a dust pan, wing, and spreader.
  18. hilltop2

hilltop2 Junior Member

Anyone have information on who is handling CVS accounts in Northeast Pa. the store managers here were no help at all. We had an account a few years ago to plow and it worked out well but the store has since changed agencies.
  19. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I hope you all are talking about guys driving your trucks ???
    I wouldn't get out of bed for anything less than $75 in my truck. I don't enjoy paying to work.

Anyway, the company i work for pays in the $70 - $80 range for subs with their own truck and $20 - $25 in a company truck. I don't know what they pay the shovel crew's but i think it's around $15.
  20. nboeger4

nboeger4 Member

I pay my shovel guys $15. I also expect them to work. Not stand there. I always round up in there favor. I also will usually take them out to dinner/beers after a big event is over to thank them for there work. Its usually 2-3 guys plus myself, were usually all in the same truck.