1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employee pay rate

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by MatthewG, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I will be hiring some new employees this year, experience a must with snow plowing and running trucks etc.

Pay rates not to exceed $15.00 an hour based on experience.

They are running my equipment only

To high to low?

Any thoughts?
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

3. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

In Baltimore its any where from 12-18 an hour
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

my contractor pays his guys 18 an hour to use his trucks
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Good in my area.... shovelers are about the same also in my area
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Too low...
  7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

my key guys make near $20 and I've been told that's even low compared to some of my competitors. but that's also my most important guys. some of the "i just want to operate and not make any decisions" guys make less
  8. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

To low. I understand Chicago is a different market, but I'm paying $20-$30 an hour to drive one of my trucks and $65 an hour, and up, for a sub with his own truck.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

about right for around here our range is $13-$18/hour operating my equipment
  10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I'm paying $15/hr. $30/hr to drive?! I'll sell off and come drive for that rate. No headaches @ $30/hr. WOW
  11. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

WOW! Is everyone paying that in your area? Its a better deal to operate your trucks then.
  12. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Everyone? No..... As far as know, to drive somebody else's truck, average is between $15-$20 an hour. Some do pay there main driver(s), $25-$30 an hour.
  13. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Im gonna go with the $15 an hour, they will be driving, but also shoveling. When I told them part time work at $15 an hour, there was no questions asked.

They do however have other part time jobs so it all works out.
  14. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Same pay around here. But subs get alittle more.
  15. matter

matter Junior Member

i pay my drivers 25, i haven't had to replace one yet, and all shovelers get 15,
  16. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

pay whatever they are worth to you. can't price good, quality help. found that out as we grew substantially over the past couple of years.
  17. Premier

Premier Senior Member

drives start out 12-15 a hour depending on experiance. shovlers start @ 17 a hour.
  18. bterry

bterry Senior Member

$25 here. Not only are you paying them to work, but also to wake up in the middle of the night and go out in the worst weather of the year. Beside that, happy workers work hard and don't want to get replaced, they realize at $25 there is a bunch of replacements just waiting to take thier job.