1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employee or Sub?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Mick, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I talked to my insurance agent today to make sure my insurance was up to date. She told me about the guy she's working with right now. He had a snow plowing business - insurance, all legit etc. Last winter he had someone he knew go on a one-time push. Guy got hurt and filed a claim with WC. Claimed he thought he was working as an employee. WC ruled in his favor. Now, our friend is:

1. Out of business
    2. Fined $10,000 by WC
    3. Hiring a lawyer to help with defense.

A contract might have helped, but the insurance agent advised that I contact WC now and get a ruling before the hiring anyone as either a sub or employee. Waiting until the need for making a determination almost guarantees you will lose. Given the WC history and laws in this State, I won't be surprised at anything.

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

You can set it up before hand to avoid that. When you're ready Mick, email me and I'll help you get there.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Thanks, John.