1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employee of the week type thing

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Grisi24, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Ok guys looking for some good discussion from the guys that have like 15 plus guys and pieces of equipment.

As everyone with a lot of equipment and employees knows, Guys tend to get a little careless and kinda have that I don't care attitude about equipment and property. Well of course you can just fire them and get someone else but finding good help is hard to find. So I had the idea of something like employee of the week.

It would kinda be rated on completing paperwork (daily logs and check sheets), Checking equipment, answering phone the first time (not 3 or 4 time when being called in), attitude, and overall.

I wanted to do this because I thought it would help show the guys that we can reward them for there hard wont and not just the negative side of things.

Does anyone else have something like this? What is everyone's opinion?

The more discussion the better!!!!
  2. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

500.00 dollar bonus if they answer their phone when it rings in the middle of the night(or call back shortly after) and show up within an hour of getting the call.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe better taking the whole group out instead. Give them little surprises as a group and tell them that they all need to watch out for each other in order to get the party.
  4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicEmployee of the week/month works well if you have a Mac Labour job. Lots of potential employees and a "you can be replaced attitude towards their employees. Walmart for example. You would be better of to offer a base rate to each employee. It would vary depending on time with your company and experience. Th en let each one know (individually) that if all goes well with their p erformance during the season, then for each hour worked there is a additional bonus. Employee of the month may become a joke with the staff, or get em pxssed off when they dont win it, with negative results depending on the maturity of the employee. In snow removal a good employee is a rare find and their not a "dime a dozen". I allow them to use a bay in my garage to repair their equipment, or store equipment /extra vehicles on my property. Plow out their own laneway/driveway but only if their good employees and not being a bunch of:gunsfiring: leeches.
  5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's a requirement to keep one's job. The reward for simply showing up for work is getting paid.

Bonus them for going above and beyond what is required of them. If they stand out from others take care of them. Bonus them for getting certified, getting a CDL, taking on new responsibilities, etc....

Appreciation parties are a good idea too like GV says.

Employee of the week, month whatever is also a good idea.....but that's a real commitment on your part. That's difficult to do (especially when there is no "stand out" for that week/month) and you better not stop doing it once you start. A plaque in the office with their names on it is great recognition. A private/special parking spot is another reward people like.
  6. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Thanks guys for the input. I know there is more of you JD and grandview... I'll more this am when I get to the shop
  7. pensty

pensty Junior Member

I'm not an employer, but have worked in large corporations before.
    Profit sharing can be a powerful incentive for employees to go the extra mile, etc. If employees are made to feel that their actions (or lack of them) can raise or lower profits (think lost/gained customers, broken equipment or damaged property) then they may try harder.
    Sad to say, but a lot of people are not at all interested in doing anything other than showing up....and sometimes that's a wildcard too!
  8. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

The owner of a large metal fab. shop here is a very demanding, but fair boss.

He will come up to someone on the floor, tell them he is very happy with the job they have been doing.... hand them a hundred dollar bill to take the family out to dinner.

When ever I go in that shop, I have NEVER seen anyone standing around or seemed unhappy about being there.
  9. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Yea I agree! THIS IS A REQUIREMENT not just a job well done. Not answering and not showing up is no tolerated.

Thats kinda what I am looking for but not 100.00 dollars. Something that they know they can get if they do there job well.
  10. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

I have been in several different businesses and have seen guys literally kill them selfs for trinkets that will sit in their trucks for years collecting dust.

We run 200 to 250 subs per storms and do several things.

1. We pass alone praise in a very public way. If we get a well done from a property manager we make sure all the subs know who was there and the job they did.
    2. Cash, Gas, and Coffee. Often I have 200-500 in $20 that I can give to walks crews or plow guys when I catch them doing a great job. (Yes I am out looking) If I complain about their job I must also praise.
    3. We do an end of year bonus, ( or pay damage) for any sub who made every storm, called in all their times, and had no real complaints. (I will not penalize my subs for a property manager who expects his lot perfect at 7 when it stopped snowing at 6:46)
    4. Report back the good and the bad from their properties. If they know you are looking for both good and bad they know you care.
    5. A personal thank you note. Hand written! I had a salter on a final pass notice an issue on a little one acre property, He took 20 minutes to fix it with out being asked. (the location was the offices of our largest customer who had almost 75 acres with us. Our walks crew had missed the back door. He mentioned it is passing, and with his next check (which came early) was a note of thanks.
    6. Pay early and often. If you have subs they have expenses. The faster you get them money. (even part of their money) the happier they are.

Really it is basic. IF your employees feel like they are responsible for the quality and it will be noticed it will be important to them. If they believe no on notices or cares, neither will they.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  11. pensty

pensty Junior Member

Nicely put.....I'd say good advice all around!
  12. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

7. take them to the strip club at the end of the snow season
  13. pensty

pensty Junior Member

Agreed....and advance scouting is highly recommended!
  14. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I got a little bit of a kick out of how you have a parking spot reserved for Jesus :)