1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employee Issues With Manual Trucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KildonanSnowRem, Dec 31, 2015.

1. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

For those of you who have manual trucks in your fleet, (plow trucks or shovel monkey trucks), do you ever face issues with incompetent employees burning the clutch?

I am looking at picking up a new manual Chevy for the shovel crew. Do I just need to find competent employees? Is this an unnecessary concern?

2. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

This has been an issue for us for several years. My feeling for a long time has been "if you are going to drive my trucks you will have to learn how to drive manual." It didn't seem right to me to have to change an existing fleet to fit the needs of employees that don't usually stick around for more than a season or two, especially in the case of our landscape trucks. Most of ours have pto-powered dumps which had always meant we needed manual trans.

I don't think competency is the right way to put it. I'm convinced at this point it's a generation thing.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I can't believe all these kids now a days have absolutely NO idea how to drive stick. If they were stuck in a desert 100 miles from any life form and walked up on a stick shift car or truck with the keys in it, they would die right there.

My wife is one of these people by the way. I tried to teach her to drive stick multiple different times and found that it would be best for my marriage if I just let her die in a desert with the rest of them, because if she dumped that damn clutch one more time, I was going to rip her head off. I'll take my chances with the desert. :eek:

4. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

I am of the younger generation and am not the greatest at stick, but the price difference on the truck I am looking at makes me want to become an overnight expert lol.

Do you have any issues finding people that already know how to drive stick? Would you invest time to train new employees to drive stick?

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Stick in a plow truck gets old... but your left leg will be like Hans and Frans - Pumped UP by the end of a long event.

If you are pushing parking lots, I personally would not recommend it. If you are doing rally routes of streets or residential drives, they are not bad. But being stuck in a stick shift truck plowing back and forth for days in a blizzard will about make you crippled.

6. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

You're absolutely right about it being a generation thing. I find it's nearly impossible to find anyone to drive my 93 stick shift dump that we use for the landscape maintenance. Just sucks for me to be the only qualified driver of my dump!

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I prefer a stick and never owned a vehicle with an auto up until the '15 Ford Super Duty I bought this year.
    Seems in urban area's it's harder to find people that can run a stick than in rural area's. There are some people that just don't seem to understand how to drive a stick and IMO if they can't figure that out do you really want them working for you?

8. KildonanSnowRem

KildonanSnowRem Member

True enough.

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The labor pool to choose from now is very limited to say the least. Don't make it worse for yourself by further limiting your potential candidates by having to know how to drive a stick shift. Stick with auto trans and make your life less complicated.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There are guys who know how to use a stick,but some of them tend to ride the clutch..Drove a manual Chevy plow truck for 16 yrs with my old company. After I left, the owner sold it because he didn't like using it. Unless you owned a old Neon or Fiesta or high performance car, not many cars even come with a stick .to lean with.

11. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

This is the reason I've started to switch to automatic transmission trucks. If you hire someone that has no experience driving a manual, but take the time to teach them how. That's all fine and dandy, hook the trailer with a few thousand pounds behind him and see what happens. At least that has always been my fear

12. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

This is amazing! :laughing: Also why I stopped "teaching" as well.

13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Exactly. I if I was buying dedicated plow trucks for my own fleet I wouldn't even consider buying a manual. Why limit my already small potential labor pool?

14. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

When i bought my ford f250 in 08 i had to pay extra to get it in a 5speed. You rarely see manual cars at all anymore

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Why would you have to pay more for a manual trans (assuming it was a gas truck) a auto is was a upcharge when there was a choice.

16. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Iv'e taught people to drive sticks, but there are some people who just can not do it. One guy was a stubborn cop. He just plain didn't get it.
    I had a Chrysler Le Baron, 2.2 turbo 5 speed. Got it for couple hundred bucks, bad turbo. Got a used turbo for nothen. That thing was d@m fun to drive.

17. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Because it falls under a special order. Forget how much extra but it was def more than an auto on lot

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Both my kids learned how to drive a stick when they were 13yrs old on 2track roads at my uncles ranch. Manual trans is all we owned until this year.

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When I buy my estimating mustang,it will have a stick so no one else can drive it.

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Well you got hosed on that deal....... I bought a new '08 6.4PSD CC with a 6spd stick. I told the my local dealer what I wanted, they did a search and found one on lot in Billings Mt equipped the way I wanted. My local dealer swapped one of their inventoried trucks for the one in Billings, they met 1/2 way and didn't charge me anything for it.