1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employee driver log or rules?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by rforsha, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rforsha

rforsha Junior Member

We service two large strip shopping centers doing the sidewalks only. One is very large with three major anchors and the other with one major anchor.
    This property is about 60 miles from our service area.
    We have an employee that drives into the center and uses our equipment. Then drives to the other center and does the same.

This year he has sold his vehicle and only drives a motorcycle. The only way he will work is if we provide a vehicle. Being so far away and unable to checkup on him, we are forced to have him do a drivers log. I am not sure if or how to provide a gas card for fuel? He will have to take the vehicle home and how do we limit personal use?
    We filed a driver questionnaire with our insurance company and put on the form he will take the vehicle home.

Anyone have a similar problem or situation?
    I would look for another employee but in the past we have had a series of problems. With him, he has worked for over a year and we are comfortable he will do a good job.

Thanks

Bob

2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

You have to do what you have to do and if you can't do it......Forget about it. Make sure the employee knows your concerns and that you appreciate and reward honesty and integrity.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

No offense
    But this is just stupid
    he made the decision to only have a motorcycle. (not his car broke and all he has for a week is a motorcycle, he sold his car, on purpose while having a job that requires him to commute in the snow)
    Well guess what? A motorcycle is a shi&%^$% snow vehicle. (AMHIK)

This isn't rocket surgery, this is plowing snow.
    There are a thousand guys jumping at the chance to do this work. 80% of whom would do just as good a job.

Heck I get cold called at least once a week (are you hiring?)

i don't think filling the position will be all that hard.

NMP

Not my problem.

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the vehicle and it won't cost you production elsewhere I see no harm in it.

BUT..........

The bigger point is you should have everyone filling out route sheets/logs/ call em what you will. But if there's a slip and fall and a question as to what time or date a certain service was provided and you're dealing with lawyers you're sunk before you're afloat.

CYA - leaving a paper trail is for more than payroll and billing puposes.

5. rforsha

rforsha Junior Member

Trust me we live in a repressed area. Not to offend anyone but there are a lot of people here regardless of age that DON'T want to work. The biggest or hardest job they want to preform are their hands extended.
    We have tried
    Employment services
    Paper ads
    Posted ads.
    We start to interview people and only find a handful that wants to do physical work.
    They will ride in the truck but don't ask them to open the door and get wet.
    We hired two guys last year. One guy took the keys to the centers and all the paperwork.
    Drove off and we never found him again. He vanished.

Why work the government gives handouts!!!

UC will give anyone unemployment, they know it. Quit and signup.

As far as forms go we always logged snow charts. This is the first a driver will be unattended and taking the vehicle home.
    We are loking at a GPS to keep track of the vehicle.
    Does anyone use a rule book and mileage log. The log is a given but we need to limit gas use to only our vehicle and not a free handout to all his family and friends.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Granted your in a different area then I, but there is alot of machine operators out there that are laid off for the winter or are only getting 15-20 hours worth of work. I think he is a dumb a** for selling his vehicle as well. However I feel his pain of driving 120 miles for unpredicted work. I would want to get reimbursed for millage and fuel, or have a company vehicle to drive to the site and back with. However it is his responsibility to get to the shop at least. I would allow a commuter vehicle from the shop to the site, but none of this taking it home BS. What happens if the wife takes it to the store and crashes it or worse, or his kids get ahold of it. Your putting yourself and your company at risk. God forbid if he gets popped for DUI or something. Sure the Insurance company will probably cover you, but not for wrong doing. Risky business for someone that has only been with you for one year. Something to think about. Good Luck!

7. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

With only one year with your company, i wouldnt do it.Repoman is right. Some of our guys take thier trucks home, BUT they have been with us for 5+ years and earned it. Make him go to the shop and get the truck and bring it back every time. It is his responsiblity to at least get their. By the way how smart is he selling his vehicle that has heat and only ride a bike the PA. Ponder on that before you make your decision.

8. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

If he's running around doing work for you, he should have a vehicle anyway. And if he's not honest enough to have one, then he shouldn't be doing those jobs anyways and should be working under whoever it is that you do trust. If it's just you being paranoid, you need to get over it. You should be able to tell by fuel purchases if he's abusing a priviledge or not. If you do use a company where you can set it up to require a driver number and mileage (Irving does this) then you can track it. There are GPS services as well, but that gets pricey.
    Having an employee with a company vehicle outside of your service area is a benefit to you as well. I'm sure it is lettered, so that's free advertisement. And those businesses that see the company vehicles (they won't know it's only one) in the area all the time will feel more comfortable hiring you.
    But as far as him having to claim it as income, I highly doubt that. It's a service vehicle and you specifically stated NOT FOR PERSONAL USE.
    I am an electrician and I own my own business as well. At the last company I worked for, not only did I have a company vehicle as a second year apprentice, I had it before I even worked for the company. I was subbed to that company and they gave me a vehicle. When they found out I was leaving the other company the owner came down and offered me a job on the spot and told me I could keep the vehicle.
    If he screws up, boot him.

9. rforsha

rforsha Junior Member

That's a good point. All of our vehicles are lettered and with the state contractors license number on the sides.
    We have had it setup that he reports to the center (he lives two miles away) and all the equipment is there and then he would drive his vehicle to the other center, not required to haul anything and use the equipment at that center. He is the only employee at this location. The company we work for will not extent enough work or hours to justify two employees.
    I guess my main hangup is the extended libility for my business auto insurance and the vehicle. I basically trust him, but the risk factor goes up and money is stressed in this economy. He could get a DUI and have an accident and walk away and we are stuck with the aftermath.

10. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

As true as that is, if it's a real concern you don't trust him........if it's that little I'm a conservative business owner voice in the back of your head, then you're smart to wonder.........

11. Ketch

Ketch Member

We can get you set up with a standalone GPS unit for about $500. Works great, and I've had a lot of success with a friend of mine who installed them on his sweeper trucks driven by a bunch of stoners. You can play back the entire log like a movie, in realtime. Just FYI.