1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Employee down

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Jan 11, 2011.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

So I'm taking a break in the truck at the moment, I wanted to let the members on this site hear what happened today and learn some lessons from it. It may save your life

Around 2:00 today I was at a site, with a sub contractor and he was shoveling the walks. This guy is a friend of mine that I have known for a long time. So I'm plowing along and suddenly some one came running to my truck window, telling me my guy shoveling was down and having a seijer (spelling)? I ran from my truck and he was foaming at the mouth. 911 was called and he will be ok. In the action of events, I lost my phone and even if I had it I had no way to reach his family. I do keep employee emergency contacts, but never though of it for a sub.

So I though about a few things

A. I'm glade that we were working as a team, I could not imagine if he was at this site alone. For those that work alone..please consider that....he could not have called 911 for him self, and you might not either

B. We just recently switched to high visibility safety yellow jackets. With him being a sub, we didn't require it. He had a black and brown set of car hart.....so him laying on the ground was a little hard to pick out from a truck on the other side of a lot. We got lucky that he was breathing the whole time, but we don't know if he was on the ground 5 mins or 15..... Again this could have made a difference.

C. I could not, and still can not find my phone...might be in a snow bank by now.....lucky others were there to call 911, but the point was at that time I could not. I would advise some type of perminate mounted phone,2 way radio, or at least a pay as you go phone, sit in your glove box as a back up. This wasn't the first time iv lost a phone, it will more than likely not be the last, it will however be the last time that I don't have a back up communication with me....no saying what to get, but something

D. We didn't know his families contact info. We couldn't find his phone...we thing he left it locked in his truck in the lot. I'm not gonna give advice to carry a phone or not, I know they are expensive, but we should all carry some type of contact identification. Even if it's a note card, and have all persons stick it in the same place....like their right pocket or something.

These were just a few thoughts I had. Feel free to share anything else
  2. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

That sounds like a scary situation, so glad he's ok though.

Most of us at my company have blackberries, so I update a note with everyone's primary & secondary emergency contacts and everyone saves it. I realize not everyone carries a BB, but if you do, it's a pretty good system to make sure you always have emergency contacts with you.
  3. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

Glad he is ok,
    I have never thought about any of that, other then making guys ware the vests as I do some banks realy early and it saves time not dealing with the cops.

This is some great advice, I do not even have the emergancy contacts for my shovel men, as they are just mostly random people I pick up other then my main guy.

As for the extra phone, that is a great idea as I have not yet lost my phone, but it has went dead in the truck with no way to charge.

Not working by yourself is a big one, I do it all the time, both in snow work and doing surveying were at times I am anywere from 300ft to 2 miles from anyone else....which I should not do...

we all do stupid things and are not prepaired, then things like this happen.. And even though you or someone you know have never had a seizure, anyone can have one at any time....

thanks for posting this as a reminder to us all to be a little more prepaired just in case some thing like this happens to one of us....

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

So any idea what happened? Is he diabetic? fall and hit his head? FYI....ANY cell phone WILL call 911 just grab an old one out of the junk drawer with a car charger and put it in the glove box
  5. elite1msmith

from chicago

That's good to know. Not diabetic, he did eat prior....first shovel job of the day, he had plenty of sleep....His eyes rolled back in his head, he foamed at the mouth, And he doesn't remember any of it
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

7. First off glad he is ok and thanks for sharing. As a certified EMT and Asst Fire Chief I know how quickly a sudden medical condition can develop. As someone else said any phone made since I think around 2000 or so will dial 911 whether it is currently activated or not. Once again glad he is ok, and a good reminder guys that you can never overplan when in comes to safety! Oh well time to head back out plowing, hope everyone stays safe.
  8. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Very good advice. I have a friend that has diabetes. And can occasionally go into seizures at any time. He's told me before, "if it happens, just let me go." I guess it's not good too touch someone in a seizure.
  9. elite1msmith

from chicago

He called me a bit ago, claimed the docs said he did not have a seizure and instead something about him "fainting". I was like well you didn't see your non responsive face,with your eyes rolled back and foaming at the mouth. I would tell the doc to check again

About 6 weeks ago he told me that he fell asleep at the wheel in the middle of the day. He got into a minor accident. I'm wondering if that was related

So now the question becomes....do I still use him? He's a good friend and needs the work, he does mostly shoveling for me and he just got his own plow truck so every now and then I put him and his truck to use as well. I certainly wouldn't want him behind the wheel if that happened. I'm not sure what type of liability this would be. He is a ligit sub, with insurance and all....but still I don't need issues at my sites, not to mention this event put us 3 hours behind on one of our routes just dealing with all this. I don't need that part either

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

wow thats scary to think of. im glad hes ok
  11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

He probably has seizures all the time. Even if they take their medications they get "Break Thu seizures". These people are so bummed out, they take the medication and still have seizures. Best thing is protect them from hurting them self's. Get them to the floor/ ground if they are sitting in a chair or anywhere they could fall. Move stuff away from them if you can. You can move them if they are banging body parts on stuff. Keep the head from hitting the floor hard. Observe what body parts are moving for EMS. I would have emergency cards for employees. Phone numbers and what hospital system they deal with. That way the information may be in the computer system at the hospital. Most people may not want an employer to know their medical problems. Have employees put a number listed as ICE ( In Case of Emergency) phone number in their phone.

I go on many calls and tell people to make a file of each person in the family : Full given name, Birth Date, Medical history / Problems, Past surgeries, Medications names / doses / frequencies,Doctors names and numbers, Hospital or System they deal with.
    Just print it off for EMS or bring the file up for them to read.
    Most people go : I never thought of that, I got a computer and printer right there.
    Yeah, I noticed it.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Just a safety suggestion for everyone. Used, inactive CELL PHONES well still dial out 911 (at least that is what our local police department told us)
  13. Aimfor1337

Aimfor1337 Junior Member

That's a tough call... If you decide to let him go; just explain that the work isn't suitable for his medical condition. But; being a good friend its hard to let them go without work. Weigh the pros and cons out.
  14. MickiRig1

I would go with seizures with this guy.After 2 incidents of "passing out" without a diagnosis. The Doctor does not want to call it a seizure. If he does, the guys drivers license will get yanked. In Ohio, I believe you have to be seizure free for a year before you can get it back.
  15. keitha

keitha Senior Member

A recent 'program" out there is called
    In your phone contacts call it ICE and list your emergency contacts.
    My family was listed by name, no one would have known who is wife, daughter, ect.
    emergency responders are now looking for an ICE contact in emergency's.
    If your friend's doctor will give him clearance to work then do what you think is right.
  16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I have one of these when I hit backcounty or BFE; http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/spot/, out west cell coverage can be a serious problem and as long as you not buried they work even with heavy cloud cover and snow. Service is $100.00 a year which really isn't much when you think of it.
  17. MickiRig1

List your Wife or other by their name. So someone can't send a text: What is my PIN for the bank? If your wallet and cell phone has been stolen.
  18. elite1msmith

from chicago

I'm very aware of ICE. Problem was we couldn't find his phone on him. Didn't ask him but I think he left it in his truck to keep it dry
  19. elite1msmith

from chicago

Lol an old friend taught me well. Never tell her how much you make, how many hours you work or what's in the bank account. All she needs to know is the bills are paid and their is food in the fridge.
  20. elite1msmith

from chicago

That is a pretty neat toy. Price is fair. Monthly price breakdown isn't too bad either especially when you consider that we could roll the gps tracking in on that. It's hard to tell , how big is this unit?