1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gmgbo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

I have a 1986 k20 350 carb. It failed emissions at an idle, but passed when they reved it up. When i changed the cap and rotor I noticed the distributer was loose which explained why it was running so bad. Now that I have adjusted the timing and tightened it, do you think it will pass?
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

try put alcohol in gas tank

that should help you pass it.
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Here is what I did to pass my old K20: Change the oil first and foremost. This will help capture and dirt/particulates better than old oil will. Make sure it is tuned up good!!! Put some 93 octane in and drive that SOB down the freeway getting it good and warmed up. Then go directly to the e-rip off place. Should pass just fine then!!! Mine did with no cats, true duals, all emission crap removed, etc. That was a 1984 K20 350 carbureted
  4. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

OK ill try that....any other input?
  5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah go to Auto Zone and buy a botttle of Pass it. and follow directions it works.
  6. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

find a small repair shop that does inspections and have them do it. usually dont put sniffers on older trucks. Atleast not around here.