1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emissions- legal engine swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by joe_padavano, May 1, 2006.

1. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

I have a 99 K3500 (old body style) with factory-installed 454/4L80E that's getting a little tired. I'd like to replace it with a crate 502, but here in Virginia the truck needs to be emissions tested every two years (the cutoff is at 30 years old). Anyone installed a 502 and been able to get it past an emissions test? If so, what did you need to do to retain the original 454 EFI and computer? Technically the 502 cannot be swapped into a 99 since that engine was never emissions certified. I'm thinking that I would dress it to look like the 454 externally, but I also need to pass a tailpipe test. Failing that, I guess I'd need to find a later model 8.1 with computer. Thanks for any inputs.

Joe Padavano
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I would install it with the 454 hardware and I bet it will pass if everything is up to par.
  3. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Member

Unfortunately, a 502 will need either bigger injectors or reprogramming to run correctly. Either of these can cause a problem with emissions testing if not done correctly. That's why I was asking if anyone has done this before. From the lack of responses, I'll take that as a no.