1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by linenoise, Feb 10, 2002.

1. linenoise

linenoise Junior Member

New to the board. was wondering if you could help with a emissions question...
    I have a 1979 stepside 350/350. Right now it has smog pump and headers welded to the exhaust. Whats left of it. I have to get the exhaust replaced in a couple days. The shop wants 350 to do it if I bring it down there with new headers on it. Seems fair but I was wondering if I take off the cats and smog pump could I still get past emissions? I asked a emissions tester a couple years ago and he said that 79 was either way, some had emissions some did not. Mainly the CA trucks had the emissions stuff. Mine is a CA car but the emissions sticker is so worn you cannot tell. I already switched my fuel gauge so it doe snot say unleaded fuel only, he said that is the only other way they could tell it came emissions equiped.

2. blzn74

blzn74 Member

I know that on 4x4's less emissions control items are required,for example my 78 2x4 had to have a smog pump with air injection system along with all the other smog equipment and my 81 didnt need a smog pump, just stock exaust and intake manafolds and charcoal smog canister and its passed.