1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emission ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by WOODY367, Oct 29, 2009.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Called a Chevy dealer down south to see what kind of deal I could get on a new suburban. I bought from them 4 years ago and save alot of $. They told me they could not sell one too me because NY has different emissions.If this is true when did this happen? I know California has there own but not NY.

2. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

I'm not sure about not being able to buy from another state but NY does have more strict laws on emissions then other states.

My uncle in CT does not even get his cars inspected yearly like we do here in NY.

When we brought a car back from CT we were allowed to bring it to NY however it then needed a NY state inspection which since it was in CT for a few years it wasn't inspected at all for awhile.

So I'm not sure the exact laws but i know NY is definitely worse then some other places.

Sorry thats all i know to the best of my knowledge.

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

CA and MA have the highest new auto emissions standards in the US right now. Don't know if NY does or does not have the newer standards or not, but this is very possible.

Google the NY DMV and ask them directly. You'll get a definitive answer from them.

4. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I just can not see that they are making all these vehicle to meet different standards for every state. I can see using California standards and a lesser. But I never heard of any other state that had to sell vehicle with the stricter standards. Just make me mad because They were giving me a real good deal again and at the last minute said they could not sell to me because it did not meet NY emissions.

5. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

And please explain to me why this is any of their concern. If you lived there bought a used vehicle, gotten a valid inspection, then two weeks later moved to NY what is the diff. Isn't it your prerogative to do with the vehicle what you wish once you purchase it. I mean come on. It cant be something their concerned with like the LEMON LAW is it. As far as that is concerned. It doesn't apply to emissions. Unless, its caused by a problem with the car they knew about and didn't disclose to you. Then were talkin a whole different ball game.

6. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

i never heard of not being able to buy a car. much like Bolt-1 said really not their business.

I do know if you buy a car from a less strict state into a stricter state you will just obviously have to bring the car up to the standards of the current state.

I do know NY is worse then some places with inspections.

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

If NY inspections are bad, NJ is worse :laughing: If you look at the inspector wrong in NJ you'll fail. I've heard of guys failing inspection because their tires were worn down 1/32" too far below the standard!:eek:

8. Gregg1987

Gregg1987 Member
    from NY

NY im sure is not "the worst" but i do know its more strict then some. Perfect example is my new truck i picked up from out of state it did not need an inspection at all if it stayed within the state it was in... they didnt require it...

Soon as i had it back in NY and resisted i had 10 days to get a NYS inspection Safety/Emissions. There are states that do not have as strict emission and inspection rules so this much i know.

And speaking of my truck just passed! (better have!!! lol) my new toy is all set :D

9. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

The difference is: It's not a used car. Here is a copy/paste straight from the NY RMV website:

"California" emissions standard

Your vehicle must comply with the "California" motor vehicle emissions standards unless the vehicle is exempt. Your vehicle must comply with the California emissions standards if your vehicle has less than 7,500 miles on the odometer and the vehicle is:

a model year of 1996 or newer passenger vehicle or light-duty truck that has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 6,000 lbs. or less, or
    a model year 2000 or newer light-duty truck that has a GVWR of 8,500 lbs. or less, or
    a model year 2004 or newer medium duty vehicle that has a GVWR of 14,000 lbs. or less, or
    a model year 2005 or newer heavy-duty otto-cycle or diesel vehicle that has a GVWR over 14,000 lbs.
    To determine if a vehicle meets the California emissions standard, look for these words or similar language on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) and the emissions label under the hood:

"California-Only Vehicle: This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and California regulations applicable to (the vehicle model year) model-year new motor vehicles introduced into commerce only for sale in California."
    "50-State Vehicle: This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and California regulations applicable to (the vehicle model year) model-year new motor vehicles."
    "Federal Vehicle certified for Sale in California: This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA regulations applicable to (the vehicle model year) model-year new motor vehicles, and is certified for sale in California."
    If your vehicle complies with the California emissions standards, but the MCO does not indicate compliance or you do not have an MCO, you or the automobile dealer can certify compliance on form MV-74.

If your vehicle is exempt from the California emissions standards, you or the automobile dealer can complete form MV-74 to certify the exemption if:

the vehicle has an odometer reading of more than 7,500 miles, or
    you purchased the vehicle in another state to replace your previous vehicle that was damaged, stolen or had a mechanical failure while you were outside NYS.
    the vehicle was transferred to you through an inheritance or court decree, or
    the vehicle was registered to you in another state when you were a resident of that state, but you are now a resident of NYS, or
    you are a NYS resident who serves in the US Armed Forces and you are stationed in another state, or
    the vehicle is an authorized emergency vehicle defined in Article 1 of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law.

If you buy a new vehicle that's not CA certified, you can't register it in NY. The southern dealer knows this and is trying to keep out of a legal tangle. Once they "sell" a vehicle, it can never be considered new again. If you call them 1 day later and say "You need to take it back. I can't register it here", they're stuck. They can't sell it as a new car again, even if it never left the dealer's lot. Once the title paperwork is submitted (at the sale), that's it.

If you don't want to go through a legal battle that you'll probably lose, just buy a CA certified vehicle. A non-CA certified vehicle can never be "made into" one no matter what you do to it. The certification is a legal term from the vehicle manufacturer, and it cannot be changed.

10. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

Thx GPS for clarifying that for me. In all honesty i read thru the post quickly and didnt notice NEW in it. I guess its time for new glasses.

11. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Never knew NY had to meet California emission. Learn something new everday. I guess the dealership knew what they were doing. Thanks