1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EMERGENCY!!! XLS pump constantly runs and wont stop

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by MatthewG, Jan 24, 2015.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

My 2008 XLS went nuts today, the pump will not shut off, key off, truck off, its still getting power and running. Ultimately its running and getting hot and burning the wires so I have to unplug it, rendering it useless.

Is it the motor, relay or wires? I know this is a long shot, but maybe someone had this issue. 8" today with another 3-6" tomorrow :angry::angry:

Matt

2. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

I had a issue very similar to this. Eneded up being Relay. The dealer did the work because it was middle of storm so idk what one.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Plow solenoid.

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed.Power is getting sent from the battery through the solenoid and out to the plow.So with the truck off key off power is still getting sent unless you disconnect it from battery

5. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

I don't think there is a solenoid for 2 plug On truck side. I could be wrong tho.

6. dieselss

It's on plow itself under the cover

7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Ah yes the two plug setup

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This happens a lot. The solenoid that is.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty much as important as carrying extra hoses...extra solenoid.

10. MatthewG

How could I identify this bad solenoid? I believe there are a few in there?

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It's the large motor relay. The plow's battery cable is attached to one side of it, and it has a short, red, heavy heavy gauge cable coming off the other side which goes to the positive stud on the motor.

12. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

13. dieselss

Only one...It's underneath the plastic cover on the plow

14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

15. MatthewG

Dam guys, thanks, I forgot that thing was in there, since you don't see them under the hood on the truck side anymore with the 2 plug wires

Only if I can find one tomorrow with few places open such as napa or something

16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I doubt anywhere will have one but the dealer. Mine went on one of my v blades a couple weeks ago. If your in a pinch try tapping it with something that won't break it. I did that to mine and it ran fine the rest of the night until the dealer opened. I bought 2 for 29 bucks at the dealer, they are super easy to install.

17. MatthewG

actually I might be able to steal one out of our other truck with a 3 plug system under the hood, hopefully they are the same

Ill get on this tomorrow

18. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Get the plow off the truck (its easier this way) remove the top and bottom large O rings that hold the cover together, remove the cover and it sits right in the rear towards the bottom you cant miss it. Should take you like 5 minutes to do everything.

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Those little srcews suck!

20. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Starting a couple of years ago, they did change the relay for the Fleet Flex plows. The relay from your three plug system will work, as all systems used to use the same one. However, I would get the correct one and switch it when you can. The correct one for your XLS is a part #42902. The one that mounts under the hood, for a three plug system, is a #56131K.

EDIT: Actually, the Western part number is 42902. The Fisher part number is 42901... same exact part. As someone said, you're not likely to find one anywhere but at a dealer.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015