1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency Parts Kits

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kemmer, Dec 12, 2005.

?

Emergency Parts Kits

1. Yes, I have a factory kit

18.4%
  2. Yes, I made my own

50.0%
  3. Kinda, have some tools

26.3%
  4. No

5.3%
  1. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

Just wondering how many people have Emergency Parts Kits for their trucks, if so, whats in them

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  2. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

just got a new plow so i will get one next yr

3. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

No real kit here, just an opened quart of hydrallic oil, a bunch of tools, a large spotlight, some salt, a shovel, and my good 40 caliber Italian buddy. I know I'm forgetting a few things, but that's what comes to mind.

4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, I guess I'm anal retentive or something, but here's what I carry, besides a thermos of hot coffee and my cell phone.

A plow repair kit with a spare trip spring and hardware, a heavy duty ratchet strap for lifting the blade up if the hydraulics fail, some hydraulic fluid, dielectric grease, an extra hydraulic hose, etc.

In the truck I also keep a fire extinguisher, mag lite, hunter's hand/foot warmer packs, tow rigging straps and shackles, jumper cables, basic hand tools, rubber hose and hose clamps, windshield washer ice-melt, a jug of anti-freeze/water mix, spray ice melt, duct tape, electric tape, a one-piece zip up winter suit, extra work gloves, spare pair of boots and dry socks, bottled water and emergency food, some canned goods/granola bars and so forth.

This may sound like overkill, but think about it. If you break down in the middle of a bad blizzard in freezing weather, waiting for AAA is not an option. You need to be able to make a quick repair if you can, and if you can't, then
    you're pretty much screwed if you can't hold out for a while and keep warm. Or, you may be the guy coming to the aid of someone else stranded in the snow.

This is easy stuff to assemble, I wouldn't head out into the weather without it. JMO.

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

just kinda curious where in RI you need a 40 cal. those snowmen gonna pop out at you...lol, just kidding

i got a tool box full of crap, hopefully i never have to look in it at night cause I might not be able to find anything.

6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

lol Well there is one account I have in a rough neigborhood, so I carry there. Lets just say I have a State job that I am required to carry at.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, If it breaks I fix it at the shop.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have 2,
    5 gal bucket full of spares. When ever I replace stuff before it fails I save it. I have extra quick connects,bolts, hoses, springs, cutting edge bolts, and big thick washers.
    You never know when big thick washers will save ya!

9. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

For the plow and truck I carry the following:

2 extra hydraulic lines

1 extra cylinder valve

Hydraulic fluid

some wire

extra headlamp and signal bulbs

Fuses

Some various bolts

Tools of course

Flash lights

washer fluid

Engine oil

5 Gallons of Diesel

For myself i carry:

Shovels

Broom

extra socks and boots

extra gloves

Snacks

Portable propane heater (Been stuck without heat before)

Spare Cell phone battery

Gps

First aid kit

Probally some more stuff i'll never use in the emergency box that i dont need but ya never know. I am an eagle scout so gotta have gear.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I do carry some tools, usually enough to fix minor stuff (sometimes more than others), but not fluid, hoses, pins, etc. I'll lift the blade onto the carry chain and head home to fix it instead, or call my mechanic for an emergency repair if necessary (I am not chainging a u-joint in a foot of snow- just not happening...)

I carry some emergency survival equip too, not as much as I used to (getting lazy- don't want to load it in in the fall and unload it in the spring...)

I also usually cary a .9mm Austrian friend. You can never be too careful with those snowmen.... expecailly alone at night.

Tow chains, tire chains, emergancy tire chains (for a quick unstick), snow shovels, steel shovel, sand, salt, spare socks, spare gloves, flashlight with spare batteries (they die quick in the cold), zip ties, first aid kit. Bare necessities for me.