1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency/Manual Lift of plow

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by danielboone, Dec 11, 2011.

1. danielboone

danielboone Junior Member

As an effort to be prepared for the inevitable breakdown. I could see that you would need to manually lift the plow & transport until you could get it fixed. I have a floor jack, heavy duty ratchet strap and chains as part of my supplies & equipment list. How exactly do you do this? Maybe it is not hard. I was just wondering if your pump hydraulics would be working against you and you would somehow need to "release" it before it would let you lift it. Is every situation different depending on the type of break down?
  2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Drive the plow up a snow bank and short chain it.

If it's a direct hydro lift, do the same thing but stick the lock pin it.
  3. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Jack it up then re-attach the chain as taut as you can. Done. BTDT.
  4. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

I stuck a blown out engine crane lift in mine once to move it around.....didn't have the same range, but worked.
  5. danielboone

So typically if you have a break down and the plow pump is inoperable the hydraulics are not pushing and locking it down? Maybe their is no hydraulic down force, but is simply the weight of the blow that allows it to drop when you take away the upward force. That is probably it. I was just afraid that I would attempt to jack it up and it would try to lift the whole front end along with the plow.
  6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

A Meyer dangles from a chain. You don't have to lift the hydraulic piston even if it's seized, you just have to lift the plow blade...the hydraulic piston can stay down.
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Im with this guy I done this few times in the pass 30 yrs
  8. danielboone

OK. I'm a moron. I actually knew that it hangs from the chain and could have answered this question by just looking at the plow again. Bottom line, I now know how to handle an emergency lift of the plow if I have to. Thank you!
  9. .5racer

.5racer Senior Member

Im a little late responding here, but , a rachet strap of 1000 or a cable com-a-long work great from a-fram to lift arm for lift .Less hassle than a floor jack and rolling in the snow.
  10. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

put the spare pump on and keep plowing i have 1 extra pump for every truck except the i ton with 8 ft curtis with wings but it stays at the big box store