1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency Lights

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by chs1993, Nov 28, 2006.

1. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of emergency light to buy? Im new to snowplowing and was wondering if strobes or leds are better? thanks

2. profire73

profire73 Member

It really depends on who you talk to on what is better. Strobes are great at night but not as intense during the day. LED's are obviously the newest and most popular warning lights and will outlast the strobes. Not to mention the draw that the LED's have are very low compared to your halogen lights and even strobes. I do like to strobes in the hideaway version and you can get them pretty reasonable.

Now on what to buy really depends on your budget. You can get the LED's mini bars anywhere from $225.00 to $800.00 depending on the manufacture and the strobe bars are about the same new. I would not buy a new strobe bar because there are so many of them for sale used at half the price new and they are very easy to get parts for and fix yourself.

I am sure you will get alot more good input on what to choose but remember you do get what you pay for most of the time but there are times that you can spend quite a bit less and still get the warning you need.

I personally run a Sho-Me mini led bar and hideaway strobes. Total I have about $365.00 into them and they are new.

Hope my 2 cents helps and this is just my opinion so hopefully other people chime in.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i run strobes, not LEDs, and i went full bore for the most part with my lights :) my lightbar was free and my hideaways i bought slightly used so it worked out great..... Whelen makes great products

4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I run cheap lights. But they work fine. You can see them day or night. mine are just rotator bars, but as i said , they work fine for me.

5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I hate strobes in a snow storm. The reflection off of the snow gives me a massive headache. I prefer led's over every other light out there.....Rob

6. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I like strobes on the new trucks, but only hideaways. I like only stobe beacons on the mirrors of dump trucks, mixers, fuel trucks, ect... (medium to heavy duty trucks), I like rotary beacons for all other things. I also like the ocational rotary lightbar.

-Thann

7. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

I run a 49" code3 excaliber lightbar with 5 halogen rotars, 2 flashers, front and side flood lights. cost me $850 new.

8. citywide

citywide Junior Member

Get the best of both worlds

Sho-Me's LED/Strobe bar - Very nice - gets a lot of attention

11_1230_RB8.jpg

9. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

code 3 420 magnetic mount with a cigar plug I think I paid less than 100.00 for it and it works great very bright. I got it out of some wrecker supply place in NJ off this site somewhere

10. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

For plowing I would stick to ebay. There are tons of cheap lights on there. LED's are totally the way to go... They last forever and draw very little current (like less than .5 amps) Almost all of them are self contained where if you put in hide-a-way strobes in your factory lights you would need a seperate stobe pack which has to be mounted in the cab. It also can get king of expensive. Also the flashers in most LEDS flash alomst as fast if not faster then strobes so if you like that rapid flash a Whelen dual Talon is the brightest and fastest that I know of with over 20 different lighting patterns. I am a volunteer firefighter and have had them all, leds are the next best lights allthough when i plow i use an old magentic mount amber code 3 halogen on my roof. In my opinion for plowing its better to have 360 degree warning rather than dash lights... But if you want to go for the gusto get a Whelen Edge with LEDS...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  11. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'm currently running a code 3 excalibur with 5 rotators. I have it wired so I can run 2, 3 or 5rotators. I've always like the way a low profile full size light bar looks. I also have hideaways in the reverse lights. I had them in all 4 corners on my 04 but didn't want to drill the holes in my new truck, plus all the installation crap. I just swapped the tail lights out so it was a very easy install. My old lightbar (1 year old) is a Target tech Highlighter, now a spare. I always run clear lenses with amber filters. It looks alot cleaner to me.

12. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

13. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

The best mini light bar is the whelen Mini Liberty LED Lightbar. It has the talon leds in it and it is extremely bright night or day, those show mes are good, but nothing beats this light bar.
    [​IMG]

14. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

I too need some advice in this area. Obviously I'm not in need to grab attention from a mile away, nor do I have budget to do so. I found this crapper on ebay; cheap, but the shipping seems high. CLICK HERE I question how bright it'd be during the day. Any criticism would be appreciated! Thanks.

15. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I'm running the same bulb in my front turn signal on my truck, it is very bright, but not sure if at a mile it would be seen. Got the bulb from TMI LED

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  16. profire73

profire73 Member

I think that it would work for you and see allot of people with the strobe version but from a name brand. The shipping is way high though. Just remember, I did not see a brand name on it and you get what you pay for. Another thing is I did not see anything about a warrenty, might want to ask about that.

17. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

E bay

They are called jetsonic light bar.
    Here in Canada you need blue for snow removal and amber for road work in the summer so the jetsonic light bar works out great for me all you have to do is change the filters

18. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

sorry here is the pic's

PICT0045.JPG

PICT0098.JPG

snow pic's 1.JPG

snow pic's 3.JPG

snow pic's 2.JPG
    :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

PICT0045.JPG

PICT0098.JPG

snow pic's 1.JPG

snow pic's 3.JPG

snow pic's 2.JPG

19. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Heres my truck with the new LED beacon on the roof and the LED Wic 3's in the tool box.

led.JPG

led beacon.JPG

20. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

One more still havnt had the chance to test out the LED beacon in the snow but it looks like it will be plenty bright.

led beacon 2.JPG