1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency Lighting ideas needed!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate plow, Jan 29, 2005.

1. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Hey guys.
    I have a 99 dodge ram quad cab white truck right now. Right now I have a whelen mini edge 9m bar. I plan on buying a Back Rack. So im in the process of buying some secondary warning lights right now? What should I get? Hide away strobe set or some LED's? Or even some oval strobes? Not sure where those would go? Any ideas would be great guys! Thanks!
  2. i would go with leds get back to me if you want to know anything
  3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

What kind of LEDs?
  4. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

My idea would be, if I ever get it (F250 SD) would be a BackRack with a mini-bar on top, probably a FedSig MiniJet:
    probably a FedSig MiniJet
    but those Whelen Mini-Edge's are pretty cool, too. I personally think that rotators are more effective. Just me.....

On the rack itself, on one of the lower bars, LED units facing backwards. Something like these:
    Sound-Off Predator
    (I have one already, it's BRIGHT!)

Corner strobes for the tail and headlights.
    Whelen 4-strobe

What I was thinking about actually was a 6-bulb kit for the corner strobes. The other 2 bulbs would go in the plow headlights, with a switch to deactivate the bulbs when the plow wasn't on. Know what I mean?
  5. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

get hide a ways and two oval strobes to mount to the back rack and a whelen csp690 power pack

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I just installed the 4 ways in the frt/rear turn light boxes. I also use a amber strobe on top. A good one not the cheapo's. I have to say ,now, if anyone says they can not see my truck it will be because they are legally blind.
  7. hi guys if you do a search online for 911ep you will find a great product very small but bright i have a 28 inch bar for the back and you can see it from 2 miles away. if you want call me at 708 670 8504 and i can help you with what you need
  8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What you have on a back rack mounted high up is more than adequate. but if you want more flash just add what ever you think will look cool. I kinda like LED oval flush mounts mounted in the sides of a tool box(dont know if you have?) or hide away strobes are cool. TRy to wire the stuff on seperat switches(and use relays!!!) so you can run the stuff independantly

9. caz41

caz41 Member

ratlover- do you have a picture of the lights mounted on the sides of the tool box? That sounds hella cool.
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

nope, I considered doing it after seeing a municple truck with it. Its just those flush mount oval LED's(or strobes) with the rubber gromet. They are the same size and shap as alot of brakelight/turn signal and even back up. awdirect.com should have a good listing of em.