1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency Light?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Camman, Nov 21, 2000.

1. Camman

Camman Junior Member

Looking for a Beacon on a post. I have seen them on pick-up trucks around town. It extends up from the hole on the sides of the bed. I often see them on one of the four corners of the pickup bed. Question: If anyone has what I am describing, how do you like it? And did you have to make it or where did you get it?

2. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

made it myself, its also easily removable for when i haul my slide in camper. if i were to buy a new light i would buy a strobe, i beleive they offer better visibility for oters to see you,especialy during a blinding sno storm
    dan

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Camman I bought a backrack that bolts in the pick up bed and from that I was able to mount my light bar but you could mount any thing to it rear work lights becons and bars they have all kinds of attachents for the bar. and you could leave them there all the time.Have use of your bed and have a really great looking truck.

4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

There are round flanges that are available at your local hardware store that screw on to gas pipe that work great for this kind of thing.

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I also went with the Back Rack option. They offer a bunch of different brackets for it to mount lights to. I went with the Highlighter. It's not too big, but it's VERY bright. Attracts plenty of attention. Not that there won't be people driving in you way anyway, but it helps.

6. Camman

Camman Junior Member

Where did you guys find your back racks?

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I got mine at a local truck parts store. any truck parts accseories place should have it or call 1-800-265-8137 this # is from my back rack catalog.

8. SlimJim Z71

I got mine at the same place I got my snowplow put on at. I don't know if they'll ship you one, but if you want to give them a call, their number is (815) 385-5970, it's R.A. Adams Enterprises.

[Edited by SlimJim Z71 on 11-22-2000 at 10:14 PM]

9. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

10. SlimJim Z71

Wish I would've seen that site before I bought mine for $300!!!

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think when I got my BackRack it was$199 plus tax. better than having to weld it up myself.

12. Camman

Camman Junior Member

Thanks guys for the help, I appreciate it, and remember think snooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

13. tux

tux Junior Member

as far as a post goes for your lite,all i used for mine was an old steel support post that you use for your basement.
    i cut the small end up the center about 8" then welded a flat plate to that and bolted it to the box behind the drivers side.slide the large end over it and drill a 1/2"hole in the large upper pipe and a 7/16 in the inside pipe and tap it.you then bolt this, i welded a washer about 1/2" up the bolt so it would keep it tight.weld another flat plate to the top of the large pipe drill a hole in this to bolt the lite and/or drill a hole for your wires in the top plate or drill the bottom bolt for your lite out and run your wires through the bolt.when the bottom bolt is in, the top of my lite is even with the top of the cab roof.
    then slide the pipe up until your lite clears the cab roof and can be seen for 360 degrees. drill another 1/2 and tapped 7/16,that's your setting for plowing. you run your wires inside the pole and they just slide.i have a connector inside the pole so part or all of the post and lite can be taken off. the same bolt is used for both setting,you can use a pin but i think the bolt and washer keep it from ratteling.paint it black or what ever and your plowing snow. JMHO.

14. SlimJim Z71

One thing I did that I thought was kinda cool... when I put my Back Rack on, along with the highlighter, I put a 4-pin trailer light plug (only using two wires of course) and ran the wire in underneath the third brake light assembly. Worked really well... and no wires showing anywhere. Plus, I can disconnect everything and take it all of without cutting wires.

-Tim

15. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Napa has a 2 pin trailer plug for $ 1.99.

Geoff

16. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We've got home grown headache racks on our pickups. Made from 1 1/4" pipe, bent to follow the angle of the cab sides at the front and incorporating side rails all the way to the back. Auxiliary backup lights at the rear and removable strobes up top. I got into scrounging the four prong weathertight connectors off old S-10 pickups in the salvage yards to make the connections from truck to rack. Any trailer connector I've used has rotted out in a couple years, but the GM sealed plugs last forever. Wipe a little grease on the seal when you put them together and they never glue themselves shut. There are components and crimping tols availalbe to make up the GM style connectors in one to five pin sizes, I think I'm going to look into getting a kit and the crimpers so I can make up what I want in the future.