1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

emergency light?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by henry4, Nov 8, 2004.

1. henry4

henry4 Junior Member

Do you have to have a flashing yellow light when plowing??
    I have a f250 & a 8ft fisher.

Also, why don'nt i hear about fisher plows on the site?
    Thanks

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Here's a link to a recent thread where we discussed this topic in great detail.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=18877

There are also lots of threads out there about Fisher (and every other make of plow for that matter) it's just some are older and you have to look through a few pages to find them.

Oh, and welcome to PlowSite :D

3. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Hello,
    I have a Whelen Mini Edge on my both of my pickups. I would never plow without a lightbar. most of my residentail accounts are on back roads that are plowed by the town that use equipment from the highway department or private contractors (which those are hard to find in my town since you have to have 3 million liablily on top of your regular commerical insurance) which move right along when they plow and I want to be seen.

4. definately need a strobe light and Fisher plows are discussed in great detail on this site.

5. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

When I am out plowing, I run it alot when I am going from driveway to driveway. I feel that it should be mandatory for any vehicle carrying a snow plow, but that is just the way I look at it, someone might have a different opinion.

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Safety first,plus the person with the most lights wins!!
    I have four hide aways, amber dash light, mag. mount strobe on the back rack...eveyone else?

7. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

Safety Lights

I have recently installed lights on the Tanneau Cover of my truck, Amber Strobe on top and additional lights to the front of the truck for better visibility at night. Also, put new markers on the plow and rigged light into them also.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Lights on your Tanneau Cover??? How amout a semi dark picture of that??

9. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Can we get some pictures of this?? I have hide-away strobes in the corners, arrow stick on the headache rack, & mini-bar on top. I think you need at least 1 good 360 degree warning light! :waving:

10. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I will take some pictures of my truck tonight and try to get them uploaded tomorrow. Last year I went through 4 sets of back up lights when going into piles and this year I figured it would be easier to drill a hole through the cover and mount the light on top. They are toggled from the cab to turn them off and on.

11. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I have a Federal Signal vista lightbar with 5 rotators, 4 front spot lights at 50 watts each, 2 front flashers, 2 Vista Ray intersecting lights that sweep at a 90 degree angel, 2 alley lights at 50 watts each, and an 8 lamp arrow stick.....

12. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I have 55 watt driving lights mounted in my diamond plate bumper on the back.. They also have a coupld of steel bars running vertically to keep things from breaking them. They're both hooked into my reverse switch. I also have Lights facing forward and backward (4 total) on my headache rack but, I hardly use them. My beacon is mounted on my roof..

From what I've seen, you can have the sun mounted to your truck, people are still gonna drive right at you, expecting you to move.. You can be hard headed and sit there and wait for them to hit you, then lose your butt with the insurance estimate and all the time you're gonna lose from plowing or you can get out of the idiots way..

It ALWAYS amazes me when people are behind the wheel of thier car.. and now that they have cellaphones.. Shoot, it's almost insane to drive when the public is out there.. I've almost been considering one of those cellaphone blockers in my truck.. Shuts off the phones in a certain radius.. At least it would get them to hang up for a minute but, then they'd be distracted by trying to get it working again.. Oh well..

What can you do.. :rolleyes:

13. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

BJH-
    Do you know, is it law in MN to Have a flashing light while plowing?

14. DJC

DJC Senior Member

In Maine it's against the law to run a light driveway to driveway. Only can use it when plowing a driveway or parking lot.

15. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

The law does not apply when you are on private property. Although it is common sense to use it. I for one would not want to be travelling slow without my light on when it is snowing. You are warning vehicles that you are a snowplow and it is on the front and it is wider than the vehicle. So give me a ticket. Still cheaper than accident payout or lawyers fees.

16. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Dave: Don't forget, there's always "I forgot" :)
    Never underestimate the power of denial :rolleyes:

17. Bolts Indus.

Good one.

Da tanks fur pulin me ovr ocifer and remanding me tat my light wus un. I furgut abut it. Dis is mi furst tyme out. Its daddyys cruck an hetold me to not wear down the battery :rolleyes:

PS: Don't mind me it's ma birtday an um havin a fuw :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  18. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Not a lawman around who wouldn't buy that line!

Oh, and BTW........... :bday: :waving:

19. Bolts Indus.

Well tank yu vrry much. Ya kno tay ust ta call me Oliver twist till tey stratened me out.

No offence meant.

20. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

None taken Dave.

That's part of where the handle comes from, when I was younger, folks didn't think I'd ever straighten out!

Have another one on me! :drinkup: