1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency Hose Replacement

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by V_Scapes, Dec 2, 2011.

1. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I'm always nervous im going to blow a hose during a big storm (as i did last year). my buddy helped me replace it but i was hoping to get a step by step explanation from someone who knows exactly how to do it the right way. I know its not a big deal but i wanted to see if there are any important points i need to remember.Plow is a western pro plus 9' ultra mount. Thanks
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Its so easy someone with no mechanical ability like myself can do it. Have the spare hose, some fluid and an adjustable wrench. Take off the broken hose, put the new one on exactly where you took the old one off from. I don't know how much more detail you are looking for
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing critical to replacing the hose. The most important thing is to know which end of the hose to disconnect first if only one end has a swivel fitting. I don't know the particulars of your Western setup, but it should be pretty straight forward. You could buy new hoses, have your buddy come over on a nice sunny day, and change them. Then you can see exactly what order he did things, and what wrenches you need. You can even take notes or pics. New hoses aren't terribly expensive, and much less likely to blow out. After you change the hose(s) top off the fluid. Run the plow up and down/side to side a few times and check the fluid. Good to go. Toss the old hoses behind the seat, along with a couple quarts of fluid and the wrenches, just in case. A small container of Fast Orange is nice to clean your hands too.
  4. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Good thinking. It's a lot cheaper to keep a new hose for a spare in your truck and replace when needed. You will eventually need a new hose anyway even after several years the rubber will break down. It would be a good idea to also keep some fluid in your truck too. Chances are if you blow a hose, it could be leaking out for a while until you notice it's not moving very well (low on fluid).
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

What you need depends on the model of plow. Hoses are either 11/16 or 3/4 inch. I find on some plows an adjustable is too big to get in tight places. I perfer open end wrenches. It's also good to have a vice grip or small plyers too. When you tighten the last fitting the hose often twists so if you have the vice grip you can hold the hose where you want it as it tightens. Also consider what you need to get fluid in the pump. Some of the new plows require a zig zag adapter to get fluid into the filler. (Wide-outs and MVP plus) Fluid in a gallon jug is pretty usless when you can't get it in the hole! Something else that is good to keep with your spare hose is a couple of those fittings that go into the rams and valve body. There are many different kinds depending on the plow but they break frequently.
  6. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Thanks. I understand changing the hoses themselves are easy i was concerned about getting fluid into the pump, i thought the plow had to be cycled while the fluid was going into it to get it through the whole system. and no worries about getting an air bubble? its only my second year as a western owner so id rather have as much knowledge as possible before trouble strikes. i have a few new hoses from the western dealer from last winter, asked the guy to give me one of every hose to fit my setup.
  7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The pump will tollerate some air but like any machine long periods of operation without lubrication will cause it to burn up. When I build a plow and fill the pump it will suck the fluid level down far enough to suck air as you cycle it and fill the rams. This is normal, you just stop and top it up when you hear the pump whine with the no-load sound. Every time you loose a hose air will get in the system but you just work it and check the level to get the air out. No big deal, it's not like brakes where the system is sealed. Plow pumps are considered "self purging."
  8. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

ok thanks for the advice.