1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Emergency help needed, truck wont start

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Snowpower, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Runs fine normally

99 Dodge 360 motor.

Turns over but wont start.

Have a feeling its a wet distributor from all this humidity and moisture.

Have a hairdryer on the distributor now assembled. I havent taken the cap off yet as its burriied.

Any thoughts?

2. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I've had similar problems in the past if I parked a truck with the tailpipe facing the wind.

Wouldn't start but I hooked up the jumper cables and started right up..

might be worth a try

distrubutor also sounds like a possiblity

3. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Ignition Coil if its not getting fuel. They are notorious for going like that. Mine went a month ago while I was in the country hunting. Easy fix!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  4. witty

witty Junior Member

SNOWPOWER,, i had a 97 dodge ram pkup with a 360. maybe i can help out with ur problem even though im not a mechanic. i ran into the same problem with my truck last year. here are the following parts to check. (1) check the fuel filter, turn ur key to the power position but dont crank the engine. when u do so, listen to see if the fuel filter makes a noise. if u dont hear anything then prob. ur filter went. (2) if not, then check your distributor wires. pull out each one and blow the inside of the connectors with air(air compressor). or like u said with a hair dryer. (3) if thats not the problem, then i would replace the distributor cab depending on if u never replace it before.

again im not a mechanic, but i am familiar with these problems and have replaced the above parts in the past. it has worked for me but i dont know ur situation. hope i helped out with ur problem. if u need any further assistance, i will contact my mechanic for u and ask him what he thinks. he deals with this stuff on a daily basis.

5. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Thank You Guys!

I got it started....had the hair dryer on nit with my little charger thats crap......hooked it to the car battery and it gave it a lot more starting power and she finally went.

Whew.....you know how nerve racking it is going out with a hot coffee and the truck wont start?

Oy.

Thanks to all and Im out for the night.

wesport

6. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Ok first thing I d do is remove the dist cap, have a look at the terminals, are the green or corroded, next is there any moisture? if so use hair dryer, next replace cap and check for spark im guessing your problem is somewhere along those lines. Get back to us and let us know how you made out

7. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Ignition coil corrosion is not uncommon. Also an easy fix.

8. John from OH

John from OH Member

I've had the same problem with my 98 360 several times. The front mounted coil and the the coil wire are usually the problem. Spray the coil, coil wire, and plug wires with Fluid Film. Wire dry and WD 40 did not work on mine, only Fluid FIlm. (I'm not a dealer in FF, just a believer) I'd replace the coil wire. Then spray the coil, coil wire and plug wires with Fluid Film. If you can park the truck inside on concrete, that will help with condensation. I usually let the truck idle for 15-20 minutes after plowing to let the motor heat dry out the wires as well. If I forgot to mention, Fluid Film the coil, coil wire, and plug wires. If your plug wires, cap, and rotor haven't been replaced recently, I would replace them at the same time.

9. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Glad you got it going.

10. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

If you think its moisture under the cap, get a can of wire dryer. I had a 89 ford that we would let sit till we needed it. It would never fire, I would spray a half can of wire dryer over the coil, wires and cap, then wait 2 minutes and boom she fired right up! I would always keep it handy in the truck.

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I take it the newer Dodges don't have the ballast resister in the coil circuit anymore? Smart Dodge owners would carry an extra one in the glove box, they went out all the time!

The older Fords with the distributor mounted modules have caps that seem to last 2 years. I got to the point where I write the date on them with marker. Make sure you use dielectric grease inside the wire boots. It seals out moisture and makes it easy to get the wires off again. I even put a bead of it along the top edge of the housing where it meets the cap. When it's moist out and the engines had to start that's a sign the cap needs changed or re-greased.

12. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

Get a can of silicone and spray the cap and wires... it will help with the moisture.