1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MatthewG, Jan 24, 2015.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

My 2008 XLS went nuts today, the pump will not shut off, key off, truck off, its still getting power and running. Ultimately its running and getting hot and burning the wires so I have to unplug it, rendering it useless.

Is it the motor, relay or wires? I know this is a long shot, but maybe someone had this issue. 8" today with another 3-6" tomorrow

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

The solenoid most likely. Main one from the battery to the plow motor.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

XLS ? I'd that s Western???
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yes with a trip edge :)
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

XLS is NOT a Western, it's a Fisher. It's still a Douglass Dynamics unit so very similar to Western. There are a few possible causes. Being a multiplex system it is possible that the motor relay is being told to stay on by the controller or by the plow decoder failing. It could be a short in the grounding wire between the motor relay and the plow module or it could just be a sticky motor relay (most likely).

If you take the cover off the pump assembly to expose the motor relay you can put a test light across the two small lugs on the relay. The red one should be hot all the time, the black one will be hot too until the plow module grounds it out to complete the circuit. If you take you test light and connect it from the red wire lug to the black wire lug (both the small lugs on the relay) the light should be off, then when you hit lift or angle the light will come on. When you release the button the light should go out again. When the pump keeps going look at the test light. If it goes out but the motor continues to run then the relay is sticking, replace the motor relay. (make sure the new relay is labeled "int" short for intermittent operation. If it say "cont" that means continuous and that is for the three plug plows where the relay is under the hood) If the light stays on when the motor continues to spin it is an external electrical issue.
    If that light stays on look at the black wire as it goes from the motor relay to the center plug on the plow module. Look for exposed copper or the wire being pinched under something that would short it to ground. If the wire is OK then it's down to the plow module or the controller. Probably the plow module.
    The motor relay is common positive meaning the red wire is hot positive all the time. The black wire has to be connected to ground through the plow module to complete the circuit.