1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Embarrassing moment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pohouse, Jan 3, 2013.

1. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Recently one of our trucks blew an alternator. Thankfully my wife had just finished her lots, but the truck died in a busy traffic circle. She calls her girlfriend who lives nearby (I was in another truck across town) and her husband ends up pulling the truck about 4 blocks into a residential area, where I replaced the alternator. He pulled it with his Honda CRV and now won't let me forget it!!!!! :eek:

Tell me your embarrasing story and make me feel better please.

2. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I was asked to give an estimate at a local business in a near town. It was right after a snow and I figured they were needing someone right aways so I went straight over. I be damned if I didnt back into a parking spot which was snow covered and heard something.

I look in the front window to see the employees staring. I get out and I had backed into the handicapped parking sign and bent that SOB all the way flat to the ground. I fixed the sign and didnt get the job..................... LOL Id say it prolly didnt matter what my estimate was. I was an idiot from the getgo...... Bent the spinner on the spreader to.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry,better to make fun of you and your tow truck!:help:
  4. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

I was asked to plow a new, unmarked driveway after a heavy spring snow. The owner and his young daughter were standing by the garage at the top of the driveway watching. I had never been in the drive before, and it was unmarked, so I plowed the path I thought would be the location of the drive. I unfortunately missed by about 6 inches, and turned over the soil at the edge onto the snow. When I reached the father and daughter, she exclaimed, " look daddy, he made ice cream with chocolate sauce!"
  5. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

And that folks is why his plowsite name is "downtoearth".......... BWAHAHAHAHA
    I don't care who ya are that's funny!!!!!!! Yeah man that sucks. That's why im scared to take on new drives when theres snow all over it!!!
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

my most embarrasing moment is reading the first post in this thread. :blush2:

i'm actually embarrassed for you and we never met and live 1,000 miles apart...... thats how bad your story is. sorry, but i won't be any help in cheering you up...;)

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

This happened back in 1991 when I would spend winters in Kalamazoo,Mich because they always had more snow than over here and plowed 10x more then IL.

Big storm 12"+ Saturday night. Large church lot on Oakland drive right past the I94 exit. Get to church lot late to start opening for Sunday morning.
    Knowing we were running late I held off on a pee break almost 3 hours as I did not want to stop.

Finally get most of lot and drive lanes done my bladder could take no more. I pull around back and find a awkward parking spot to take a leak hoping it was out of the way of everyone's eyesight.
    After holding it so long when I finally let loose the stream would not stop no matter what.

Standing there with door open feeling the relief the Pastor drives up and parks next to me. As most guys know once the bladder starts there is no off switch to stop the flow. He gets out not yet noticing what I was doing and starts to chat. Then he looks down and sees the yellow stream rolling from under my truck. All he says is, "Um mm have a good day... Then walks away.

Whenever I saw him after that while plowing he would never look me in the eye again just a nod and wave as he turned his head away from me.

I laugh now because it was funny but I was pretty embarrassed at the time.
  8. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

The Honda CRV and a Chevy 1500 are almost the same thing. Nothing to be ashamed about...
  9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

After the wrecker pulled me out I realized I was still in 2wd......
  11. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

i was plowing at a walgreens that sat on a major intersection. finished the main lot and hopped the curb to the side walk that was 12' wide to clear it with the truck as I all ways did. Little did i know that city trucks had just chucked 12" of heavy wet slush up there on top of the 12' we already had. got all four tires up on the side walk and backed 10' before i realized the slush was up to my doors. i spent the next 20 min rocking my truck back and fourth 1" by inch to get off the side walk. All the while the traffic was driving by or sitting at the light watching my efforts. I have made it a habit to check the depth of unknown snow.
  12. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Embarrassing moment ?

Do they have to be "snow plowing related" ????
  13. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

sliding backwards loaded with 2 ton & plow, 100 or so feet down an untreated major bridge, with my tires resting safely against a gaurdrail at 3am

used my own salt to free myself from the slickery situation by spreading a ton down and maneuvering a u turn to safety .

then paying a 5.00 toll for the supreme service provided by the port authority with out able to reach the other side

must have been break time on the bridge . if i had to do a # 2 , i would have right there and then .
  14. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

After spending 17 hours plowing my commercial accounts I started on my residential accounts. Got to the last driveway, mind you this driveway is on the side of a fairly busy main road..Dropped the blade, pulled into the driveway just to find out it was actually the ditch..WTF, I'm on the correct side of the mail box...home owner comes out after I get pulled out of the ditch and says "Oh yeah, last fall we moved the mailbox to the OTHER side of the driveway"...Mind you, this was the first time plowing the res. driveways that year. So I hadn't seen that driveway since the winter before.
  15. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Thats why when I work with my buddy we drive by all the driveways before a storm haha. Thumbs Up
  16. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah, usually try to at the beginning of the season...but when you have over 100 accounts sometimes things like making sure the equipment is ready to roll and your guys know what there supposed to do takes priority.:D
  17. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Very true. I will now blame the customer for not alerting you prior to this. :drinkup:
  18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I know of a user who would suggest that you should get rid of your plow and go back to shoveling.
  19. Landgreen

Landgreen Member

We have a winner lol.

Reminds of the time I returned a chainsaw because I couldnt get it to run. Service guy flipped the switch to the ON position and it fired up... I'm sure they got a good chuckle out of me after I left.
  20. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

I had got a call to do a drive that was unmarked. So I see the garage and line up to it and just start rolling sod. Took another angle ...more sod..so like I should have done first I get out and realize there is no drive in front of the garage....there was a circle drive in front of the house .....ugh