1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Elgin Pelican S

Discussion in 'Sweeper Forum' started by beanz27, Mar 6, 2015.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Does anyone have any experience with a late 80s-early 90's Elgin Pelican S models? I've been approached by a few of my clients about summer maintenance, and I'm not thrilled about doing lawn care, but sweeping I am interested in. I've thought about going the bobcat route, but honestly I'd rather buy a dedicated machine, as I believe something made for a specific purpose will do a better job than an "attachment" would.

Anyways I'm looking at models similar to this:

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9552197

or

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7798848

I am new to sweepers, so please, if I'm an idiot please do tell me that. I am not looking to spend more then 10kish. I know that limits me, and I will have to do some work to find decent machines in that price range.

Anything to look out for on these sweepers?

2. H&NServices

H&NServices Member
    from NJ

I've worked on all kinds of sweepers, being the company I work for has hundreds of them. I personally like the pelicans the best compared to the Stewart Amos and Schwarze that we also have.

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Why do you like them better? Easier to maintain or run?

Reason I chose the pelican is because another contractor I work with has 2 of them, and a few other sweepers that just windrow, but the pelicans are what he uses, and one other guy in town I know uses them.

There is a company in town called "Odra" but I've never seen one actually be used.

4. Diagonal Brace

Diagonal Brace Junior Member

Pelican

Quite simply for heavy sweeping the Elgin conveyor system is unmatched.
    Elevator machines cannot perform like the belt and vacuum or regenerative sweepers can't touch the heavy accumulations that a spring clean up in the northern states or Canada can bring. I've sent you a private message if you would like to talk more.

Thanks

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thanks for the info, I didn't receive a pm from you, but I did send one.