1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Eletrical Problem??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Hey guys I was On my way to the store and my 1985 f-250 cuts out. Its like if you turned the key off while driving the truck. I stalled a tatal of 4 times. 3 times on the way home and 1 time just sitting a idle in my drive-way. does anyone know what all of these tell-tail signs are saying. I am not the best at working out eletrical problems. I know that I still have power when the truck cuts out becasue the lights and radio still work. I checked all of the spark plug wires and the are all fine and nice and tight. Also I did find 3 wires that lead to the side of the distributer were striped and bear wire was showing so I wraped them up nice and tight with electrical tape. Thinking that they are grounding out on the engine block. And the truck STILL cuts out. And I do not think taht it is a fuel issue becasue the way the truck justs cuts out with out warning. The truck does start right back up when it does cut out. Those 3 wires come from the area over by the drive side wheel well. And then they run it to a 3-way plug connecter. Then they lead into the side of the distributer. The truck is a 1985 F-250, 4x4, with a 351 windsor, with a new 4 barrle holley carb. Like I said I really don't know much about eletrical problems so ANY help would be great and the faster I get this taken car of the better. THNKAS FOR THE

2. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Fords are notorious for the ignition modules going bad. You can pick these up pretty cheap at any Advance, Pep Boys etc. Im about 99% sure thats your problem.

3. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Better yet... Just looked on ebay... Tons of em on the cheap.... payup

4. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Nope it was a bad pick up coil, and selenoid was messed up too. I replaced them both it only cost 36.00 bucks for all the parts and it took 15 minutes to install and off I went and no stall . Thanks for the help :cool: :salute: :) :drinkup: