1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

eletric under tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by traviswalker007, Jan 7, 2008.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Hey guys,
    is anybody running an eletric under tailgate spreader, if so what brand and how is it working for you vs hyd?? is it worth the money or should i just convert my truck over to hyd??

2. wishin4snoww

wishin4snoww Junior Member
    from S.E. MI

You could convert to hydro and buy the salter cheaper then you can get an electric for always liked electric tho.

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I run a Snow-Ex 2400. Works awesome. Pricey though

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Pictures please.

Thanks Mike

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Truckcraft has a nice electric under tailgate spreader. All Stainless and Aluminum, have installed one for a customer who loves it. I have no personal experience, but have talked to other very enthused end users before I started handling them. Cheaper then Hyd. if you don't already have the particular Hyd. system.

6. traviswalker007

i priced one out for over 6,000, thats seems a bit high!!

7. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have the TruckCraft ..... awesome ..... just awesome, truck can carry more salt than my Vbox and it is really easy to clean if, IF it jams up. Spreads real nice and even to. Just dont trust the electrical system. I put in a Karrier Control to avoid that crap system.

Ken

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Have you priced having Central Hydraulics/pto installed on your truck? Check that out before you comment on price.

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have to 2nd what Kevin said about the controller. I would replace a snowex controller in a second with a controller and harness from Karrier.

Regards Mike

10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Got central or go home. :rolleyes: I love my central hydraulics, its the only way to plow.

11. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

For those of you currently running under the tailgate spreaders. Did you have to add extra springs or do something to get the spreader higher. My spinner touches if the box is up more the 1/2 way. Needless to say the lower the spinner the worse the spread pattern

12. traviswalker007

Ken,
    What did you pay for your set up with the diffrent controller??

13. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I got my unit used with the old controller. The wiring was shot so I ran all new wires and plugs. Then I called Karrier and got the controller from him. The controller was about $800 with shipping. The wiring was a couple hundred and the unit ran about $2500.00 (it is 4 years old.) But I did get a price on a new unit, was $5850.00 not installed, honestly its not that hard and they would not sell it to me without the wiring harness for cheaper. So you would basically be paying for a harness and controller you are not going to use.

Ken

14. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

I had a TC160 and it worked ok... but the bed hydraulics for up and down were very slow...

and the spreader would not throw very wide of a pattern if the bed was up..

removed every thing.. installed a pump on the motor and converted bed to central hyd. and installed a Buyers SS under tail gate spreader.. had all this done at a shop that has done several before,, cost $ 8075.00.. and worth every cent!!

FYI used truck-craft TC 160 for sale...