1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Eletric tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by traviswalker007, Dec 9, 2007.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Hey Guy's,
    Just a question, im conteplating on buying a eletric tailgate spreader beacuse my 1 ton dump does not have central hyd. Are these worth the money?? does anybody have them? i think converting my truck over to hyd would be costly comparied to just buying eletric. any input would be helpfull.
  2. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Yes. Seems like most guys prefer the electric systems now more than hydraulic partialy due to the reason you stated but also that electric is reliable and cheap to replace motors and such if need be.
  3. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

We use the SnowEx brand and a couple of meyers. all are electric and work well
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My Fisher 1000 works great, next year looking into the Snow Dog 2 ton. An area company has had one for 2 years and they run tons of salt through it with zero problems so far.
  5. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

Very happy with the Fisher PolyCaster so far.

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

The wester pro flow II worked really well and is capable of spreading wet sand.
  7. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

From what I see, you'll get about a 50/50 feedback - I bought electric cause it'd hold the most in a short bed but if I had a long bed this year, I think I woulda went gas.

Does anyone know the effective spread rate of say a gas Buyers - the 8' one? The electric poly salt dogg, for me, will only put out 3.5-4# per second and still have a wide spread pattern. If I turn the auger up any higher, it seems the disc just won't throw the material far enough. I guy I know says his is at 5/sec but it sits higher - although you just have to see the way the salt just blobs off my spinner at the higher auger settings - I don't think higher is gonna make any difference.

do the gas ones throw more salt down??
  8. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I just bought a meyer mate. It has worked great so far.
  9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Are you asking about a spreader that goes into a hitch or one that you hang under your dump box tailgate? I read this post as you don't have central hydro but want to put the salt in your dump box and have a under gate spreader. Check to see if Downeaster makes one for a larger dump box, I know they do for a dump insert.

Regards Mike
  10. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Sorry, maybe i shoud of specified. yea i was looking at the under tailgate spreader. truck craft has one but ther like 5700.00 dollars..what a joke!! i can buy a v-box for half that, ill check down eater but does the eletric really chew up the bulk salt..100 amp does not seem much for a breaker??