1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electronic Shifting ATV

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by WayneSnow, Jan 10, 2010.

1. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

I have an Honda Foreman 450 es and it stopped shifting and got stuck in gear. Had to use manual shift tool to shift and it was a mess. Couldn't plow. Brought my quad to Honda dealer and I found out the ECM module(brain of the electronics) is shot. Its $400 just for the parts and over $400 to fix.

Has this happened to any one else?

2. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

yea my buddy had a problem with his, its electrics and if it's in the wrong place could hurt any quad imo

did ya get it submerged at all? or crap get into it??????????

3. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

most of the time the Foreman 450ES are rock solid.

It happens though that the ECM can go out.

check out www.highlifter.com for some tips on how to shore up the electronics on your foreman. just going over most of your connections with dielectric grease is a big thing to help prevent water intrusion.

4. mattbob18

mattbob18 Junior Member
    from Maine

I have a 07 Honda Rincon 680 and every time I put it in reverse it grinds. Its like it doesnt wanna go in. I am holding the brake to.

5. nhgranite

nhgranite Senior Member
    from N.H

i had a rancher with the electronic shift. piece of crap. froze up all the time. forget to put it in neutral when you park it and it wouldn't start because it would be froze in gear. finally got rid of it.

6. ferrari4756

ferrari4756 Member

i have a rancher and it works great. never had a problem with it. even when it sat for about 2 months and it started right up. i also go mudding and run it through creeks alot.

7. ferrari4756

ferrari4756 Member

i also have a rincon too lol and we have the same "problem." it happens more when the engine is revved higher (or the choke is out more)

8. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

is your idle set high? does it wanna move on ya immediately,? warm it up good before ya go out,

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto, stupid engineering. Or lack there of.

10. sublime68charge

Did you not read the part where is say's to have the ATV in Netural when parked? How was this ATV treated in its lifetime? Honda ATV's have been some of the Most reliable ATV's built and will last forever if routine maintance is done on them at all.

just wondering the treatment the ATV recieved. I have been over at the Highlifter board for a few years and if there's a flaw in ATV's it has been found there and disected over countless time's THE ES shift is not a flawless system the angle sensor is the weakpoint of it for sure. alont with the motors buring out as well but by and by the ES shifting system has been a pretty big success for Honda

but to label the Rancher platform a pieace of crap cause you left it in gear and then could'nt get it to start is a bit extreme. Wondering was this on a hill so there was pressure on the gears more than the shifting motor could overcome?
    the first year Rancher 400 of 2005 or 2004 when ever they came out did have problems though.

Guess I just go and start up my 02 Rancher 350ES in 15 degree weather and with 6400 miles give or take and call it a pill also.

have a Nice Day,

Sublime out.

just my thoughts.

11. sublime68charge

Mark,

so your backing that Honda ATV's are some of the worst enginered ATV's that are made?

the ES shifting has been in the Honda Line up since 1998 or so. It is still offered on there ATV's a 10 year run,

just wondering your thoughts as to why you'd back a post saying Honda is crap and Stupid engineering, or lack there of?

Honda has done some dumb things the 400 Rancher AT was not long for this world but has been replace with the 420 Rancher that many people like.

not wanting to pick a fight but just wanting to know your reasoning behind your post.

sublime out.

12. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

im not a fan of the electric shift, it sucks trying to plow snow with them because of the reverse is a pain in the a%* ill take my prarie 360 over one any day

13. sublime68charge

I don't mind the ES shift, I have not Plowed with a ES machine as My Rancher that is ES I have on the blower and I don't shuttle as fast with the blower it takes longer to raise the blower up so I have more time to get shifted to R, I also have the Reverse Overide in effect on both my Honda quads and that sure does make the shuttle shifting alot nicer. No need to pull the brake lever and push little red Button just push the button 2x and go from 1st to R and hit the gas On the foot shift it's 2x with your foot and away ya go.

Heck my Foreman I have down to every leg and arm has it's own function.
    My dad Has a Praire 360 that I have used and I think I'd rather have the ES shift "with R button overide" than having to let go of the handle bars to shift from F to R every time.

if I did not have the button overide though the Praire all the way you can get in a nice shuttle shift pattern on them also though.

just my thoughts.

sublime out.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Two easy remedies:

Adjust the idle down slightly

or

Adjust the linkage on the shifter itself.

15. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I would also contribute that hondas are not junk, whether you maintain them or not. My dad has a foreman 450ES, and while I admit the ES was not the greatest idea, the rest of the atv is just tough as nails. Ours is a 2001 and its went through a set of rear axle and front wheel bearings, but other than that in 4000km and I dont want to know how many engine hours, it hasnt given us any problems at all. I admit the 4x4 on hondas really does suck, or should I say 3x4, and if your a noob then getting into reverse can be a pain, but I can do it with one hand just as quickly as anybody can slap the shifter from High to Reverse on their polaris. I have had my ES shifter give me problems though, 2 or 3 times a year in the winter when its -20 it doesnt want to work, but if I let the engine warm up a bit longer it usually doesnt happen. It does suck if you shut it down in gear 4 and forget, but you can get it back into neutral easily by rocking it, same as a footshifter. If it was my atv I would've bought the footshift model, but to call them junk is kind of inaccurate, ours is pushing 9 years old and thats the only problem its had. Not bad for an atv that doesnt run unless its towing 2000lbs.

PS I forgot to chime in that if I wasn't in the picture that honda would probably still be running on the original engine oil too.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Huh, guess I missed the part where I said the whole thing is an engineering clusterfoxtrot. The ES is badly engineered, not the whole machine. Mine has been beat to crap and it keeps right on going. Just wish the shifter was better.

17. sublime68charge

I guess I just don't know where the ES shifting is that bad of a thing. yes it does have more problems than the Old Foot Shifter. its hard to beat simple mechanical foot shifting. I would just say for those that have the ES and don't like it why keep that machine around the ES model's are worth more than the S models find a S model same as your ES and due a trade.

I like them both, I didn't think I would like the ES at all but after spending some time on my rancher that is ES I don't mind it at all. I did not think the ES shifting would hold up when they first came out but my rancher has 6,400 miles and the shifter works just fine.

now watch I'll have 12" of snow on the ground the blower on the front warmed up and purring like a kitten and the quad wont shift into gear or out to R next week. Last week I had enough snow to run the blower and the darn WARN winch broke the Ing on wire and quite working I had to ratchet strap my blower up 2x to transport from drive to drive and then lower down for snow removal @#$#.
    such is life.

sublime out

18. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

I have had my quad for over 5 years with ES and never had a problem. I absolutely love the ES and it is very good for plowing for me

19. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Your lucky you came back in to clear up the air. If not, I was going to have to resort to more "pot shots". :realmad::laughing:

20. mattbob18

mattbob18 Junior Member
    from Maine

I do and sometimes it still does it. And yah it does it when the choke is on and stuff. But before it would never even seem like it had a problem shifting into reverse. But all of a sudden it started to do it. I have to take it to Honda to see what they think, but i havn't had the time yet. :eek: