1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electronic salt metering devices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Grassman09, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Is any one using these set up on private parking lots vs roads?

Force America Compu spread to name a few.

We are only guessing what we are putting down now. Picking up a truck that has a partial system in it or at least just the controller not sure about the rest of the parts.

An automated system that stops when the truck stops and starts when it starts like those would be handy and tells me a reading for each property and at the end of the shift.

2. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Snow ex has a system.

3. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

We spread liquid... our tanks have gallon markers on them.. Start off with 1000 gallons when done we have 800. Check and calculate the difference.

If you want to get REALLY fancy, try this:

fill the hopper, use a sharpie and write a line and the amount currently in there. Fill it with bags so you know..

I dont feel the need for a system like this... Call me old fashion. Doesnt everyone get paid per salting?!?!! I've never taken a contract that says its this price for 1 yard and this price if i spread more or less. We bill for the inevitable.. no matter what if we only drop 1 yard we still charge as if we dropped say 3.

4. Grassman09

Yea snow ex stuff is Amateur but overpriced.

5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Lots of big companies using it. Snow ex has always been overpriced.

Interested to know about your snow ex experience to say the tracking is amateur.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  6. Grassman09

Ok ill call you old fashioned. Well it would take allot of bags to fill this bad boy. I don't use tailgate salters where I spread just a few bags. I do not get paid per app or per ton I deal with seasonal contracts. The less i use the more in my pocket at end of season.

It could also help on the liability side knowing what you put down exactly at each site. You can spread some salt on the ground and measure it and then figure out how long u were on site for and would roughly tell u what u used.

image.jpg

7. Grassman09

I'm not talking for my pick up I'm talking for the big truck. Snowex wouldn't work with my saltdogg as its designed to plug into snowex controller.

I know enough about snowex s to stay away from them. Steele support frame that has to be painted every year. Paper thin plastic hopper.

Who are these big companies u talk off? Don't think the city's and town use those in there trucks.

8. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Lol. Stop talking apples and oranges.

Dog does not offer anything.

Of course you could buy a system like the town, but you probibally have to do it from scratch - not piece meal it together with your current salter.

Can't see an ROI unless you are into a lot if salt.

Gps that you can tie into systems (salter) so that when its on would give you a rough estimate - based on the average your salter throws and also provide the tracking info for insurance. Pretty inexpensive too

9. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

if i may offer a suggestion, With a big operation like yours i would give liquid a try if you havent already. I know guys who have cut their rock usage by 5-10% By just pre-wetting with liquid at the spinner.

10. Grassman09

I do have a pre wet system for it. Didn't have time to install it in the fall. Also have a liquid system I rigged together a few years ago just didnt have room on the truck for it and a vbox. I have used pre treated salts before. Lots to work on over summer.