1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electricial gurus help!!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Jan 28, 2010.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

So here is my idea. I have a snow ex 8500 and would like to be able to dump the salt from it with the spinner off.:nod: From my thought thinking I need a resistor to replace the spinner motor to fool the control box in thinking everything is hooked up.

So what are your thoughts on this????:help: Is the remidy this simple ??
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I could be wrong, but I think it would be easier to put a switch in the control box to give full power to the auger. I assume you are wanting to do this in case you need to unload? Another option would be to just un bolt the spinner.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry so much about fooling the controller. Unhook the spinner motor some time and see what happens. Can you not control the speed of each motor separately? How far does the salt spread with the spinner on the lowest speed? As for a more convenient way to shut the spinner off, you could add a switch. But do it on the spreader, near the motor. You don't want to add any wiring causing more voltage drop. And it will need to be a pretty heavy duty switch, I'm guessing 30 amps or better. Probably marine grade is the only thing that stands a chance of surviving.
  4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

the plug for the spinner is right in back why not just unplug it...
  5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I do this 5-10 times per night...

Turn the unit on, spinner 10 and auger 99, then walk to the back of the truck, pull the cord on the spinner and then dump off some salt, I put a bucket under the spinner right away and that way its self loading...

Just make sure you plug it back in cause you get pissed off real fast pulling into your next lot to start salting and all you hear is beeep, beeep, beeep

6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Exactly--you can unplug the spinner *after* the controller starts up and does its checks. We used to auger off all the time, but you will have to pull forward periodically to make a new pile.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to see there is a simple solution. Sometimes it is nice to drop a nice ribbon of salt on the perimiter of a lot to prevent melting snow from freezing on the way to the catch basin on those cold nights. :)
  8. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

See? Who would've thought the solution was even simpler than you'd hoped?