1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electrical

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cruiserkritta, Dec 16, 2008.

1. cruiserkritta

cruiserkritta Junior Member

installed an Isarmatic on a 84 Chevy pu. Hooked wires like it shows in the diagram and nothing is happening. When the cables from the plow motor are placed directly to the battery the motor runs-Put positive cable to solenoid then to battery. Ground cable directly to battery and small wire from control box to solenoid then the motor wont do anything. Please help it snowing like crazy!!! Can you help me crash?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Do you have power at the controller (red light lights up)?

Do you have power at the motor solenoid? There should be 2 small wires going to the 2 small terminal on the motor solenoid. A brown/red and a orange/black. Should have power on the brown/red when you hit the controller, orange/black should have a junper from the solenoid to the ground side of the battery.

If you have power at the controller and power to the solenoid and still nothing then replace the solenoid.

3. jml416

jml416 Junior Member

is this a cable unit?

4. Crash935

Good question, forgot that the cable pumps only had one wire from the controller.

5. cruiserkritta

yes it is a cable unit-only one wire from control box-brand new solenoid(made sure it was the continuouse type)no light-I don't see where there would me a red light?

6. Crash935

Sorry, no red light on that controller.

forget what i said before.

Did you run the short jumper wire from the large terminal on the solenoid that has the hot from the battery to one of the small terminals on the solenoid. Wire from controller should go on other small terminal on solenoid. In the cab there should be 2 wires coming from the controller, one to the motor solenoid, the other goes to a ground.

7. cruiserkritta

only one wire coming from controller-I shows in the manual that it is grounded through one of the cables. No I didn't put a small jumper from large terminal to small terminal-the truck is down the street at the fire hall-I will run down there to see how many post are on my soleoid-when husband gets home we will do some tests and hopefully get back to you tomorrow! Thanks so much for you help! Krista

8. Crash935

9. cruiserkritta

by passed solenoid and motor works-brand new solenoid could be bad? There is only 3 posts on this solenoid-I think it is the right kind-I may try just buying another one that is for sure the right replacement for the western solenoid-any other suggestions would gladly be taken! Krista

10. Crash935

Go with the 4 post solenoid, that should solve your problem.

11. cruiserkritta

new solenoid on its way-4 post-when I get it I will hook it up as you said and see what happens-thanks