1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical System

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by markq, Dec 2, 2005.

1. markq

markq Member

Hey guys....I need some info that I'm hoping someone here can either give me the answer to , or tell me how I can check.

I need to know what the amp draw is on my electrical system under normal load at night - ie. lights, defrost, heater, radio,and anything else that may be running on the trucks electrical system (not including plow, warning lights, and extra backup lights)

I know how much my plow, lights, and all other added on equipment draws, but I dont know how much the truck itself is drawing.

I'm trying to figure out if i should get a larger alternator or not. The stock one is 105 amp, and I can go as large as 145 amp without modifying anything, but the extra 40 amps is around $250. I need to decide if I really need it.

Thanks alot guys!

2. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Cant give you any hard numbers, but, i have an 05 hd w/ the plow prep(145amp) and dual batteries. im running a fisher 8.5v.. and, ill tell you that phucker draws some juice. a lot of it.. id say go w/ the larger alternator.. u can never overbuild something.. might save you lots of aggravation when its 10 degrees out and you've got a foot of snow on the ground..