1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electrical/Smarthitch 2

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Sidebuz, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

Need some guadiance here. I have a 8'2" V plow with the Smarthitch 2. Went to hook it this morning since it snowed a good 3 inches. Lined it up, hooked up my electricl supply, put it in float, hit the switch to raise the tower... and sparks flew when the plow hit my truck mount. Shorted it out. Kept doing that. This is my third year with the plow and never had this problem. Finally got it hooked up after 1/2 hr. Talked to a couple other guys with Boss V plows, they just gave me a funny look and said,"what the hell?" Looked over the wires and doesn't seem to be a worn through spot on the electrical cables. Ground wire? Once I got it hooked up, everything worked fine. :dizzy:

Thanks for any help or advice given!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

When you get sparking between the truck and the plow it is usually an indication of a ground problem. Check and clean the ground connections on the plow and on the truck. It spark's because the plow needs ground to operate and if it can't get it through the ground cable due to a loose or corroded connection, it will get it from somewhere else, like the plow mount.

3. MDSP

MDSP Member

Same problem here! 3 years old, 8' 2" V. We replaced the power/ground plug at the front bumper with heavy duty plug. Stock plugs seemed to be making good contact, but who knows. After the switch, all was good. The guy called them "fork lift" power plugs, there grey in color. Had to cut off old and soder in new. This seemed to solve the problem. Also checked ALL power and ground connections.