1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

electrical problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by kanuist, Jan 1, 2008.

1. kanuist

kanuist Junior Member
    from maine

I own a fisher MM2 the plow seems to drain the electrical system. I have cleaned up and put die electric grease onall the connections. Please help it's been snowing every other day
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

please elaborate ,draining! as you are plowing awhile ,or when it sit's awhile !
  3. kanuist

kanuist Junior Member
    from maine

As I am plowing, it seems to drain the trucks battery to the point of the truck quittting. If I rev motor the system will recharge.
  4. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

The pump draws upwards of 150 AMPS when running. This is likey is well beyond your alternators ability to feed, therefore it draws down the battery. The fact that it takes the battery down to unsustainable levels indicates a) poor performance from your alternator or b) a bad battery.

Search this board for "dual battery" and you will find helpful information on dual battery setups that help to mitigate this situation.
  5. topdj

topdj Senior Member

how big is your alternator, how big/age is your current battery
    see if you can find a shop to load test your battery, some of the new Snap on stuff can give you a printout of the battery and alternator performance. The simple battery load tester will give you some idea
  6. kanuist

kanuist Junior Member
    from maine

thanks for the info, I'm having the system tested.
  7. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

FYI I Stickied a Chevy dual battery install on chevy forum