1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Electrical Problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Khowie644, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

So can't seem to figure out my 04's light dimming issue
    Has new this year, Dual-battery set up, Both batteries 1100CCA, 250A alt. 0/1 Wire upgrades on battery to chassis, chassis to engine, battery to engine, and cab to chassis.
    So problem is whenever I use anything that draws large amounts of power (Windows/plow/Defrost) my headlights, in cab roof light, and dash lights all dim.
    Thoughts on what the issue is?

2. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Somewhere you may have a super high resistance on something. Start metering your ground returns. Seen a bad ground on a firewall of a Ranger cause all sorts of havoc on a electrical system. Are you at idle when the voltage drop is happening? Does it still happen at highway speed?

3. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck all them gnds. If you don't have get a wiring diag to make sure u have them all cked. Also don't trust those gnd straps they corrode fast

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the gray line above.
    Search : Charging, Low Power, Lights Dim, Duel Batteries -- etc. There is hours of reading there. It's an issue beat to death every year. When you say dim is it really dim or just dim a little? Any change from what you had before? Any high amp drain will drop the voltage a little and cause dimming. An alternator only puts out 1/3 of it's rated amps at idle.

6. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Sorry, forgot to respond
    Checked all the wires I installed for resistance and came up with a 0 on every one.
    So I took the extra 18ft. of 2ga I had laying around and added some more grounds, seemed to clear up the issue.
    Guess you never can have to many grounds. :mechanic:

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You know to protect the connections with Dielectric grease right? I put it on everything but my toast.

8. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

I put it on everything, including my toast.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Who needs toast lol